NTPC to set up hydroelectric project in MizoramFebruary 9th, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Aizawl, Feb 9 (IANS) A 460 MW hydroelectric project will be set up by state-run National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) in Mizoram, officials said here Monday.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between NTPC and the Mizoram government to commission the Rs.30 billion power project in Sahia and Lawngtlai districts of southern Mizoram.
The Kaladyne Hydro Electric Power Project (KHEPP) on the Kaladyne river will be NTPC’s first hydro power project in the northeast and the second power project in the region after the 750 MW Bongaigaon coal-based thermal power project in Assam.
“The power project would be commissioned by 2013 and the surplus power would be supplied to neighbouring northeastern states after meeting the requirement of Mizoram,” secretary of the Mizoram power department K. Lal Nghinglova told IANS.
NTPC will execute the project on build, own, operate and maintain basis. Work will start within six months.
“Power tariff and the power-sharing formula would be determined by the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission in consultation with the NTPC, union power ministry and the Mizoram government,” Nghinglova said.
“It was decided that the electricity generated would be provided to the affected families (people displaced due to construction of the project) free of cost for 10 years from the date of commissioning.”
According to the MoU, all the recruitment of the workforce would be done from among the affected families and in case of non-availability of suitable personnel among them, the recruitment would be done from other parts of Mizoram.
The KHEPP project is the fourth hydel power project of NTPC. The three other projects being commissioned are in Himachal Pradesh (800 MW) and Uttarakhand (600 MW and 520 MW).
- Three hydel power plants to come up in Mizoram - Jul 18, 2011
- Stalled Mizoram power project to be completed in 3 months - Jan 10, 2011
- Northeast to generate 5,000 MW more in next few years - Jul 07, 2011
- Mizoram to set up new power project, implement 6th Pay Commission - Oct 24, 2009
- Northeastern India's largest power project to ease electricity woes - Nov 21, 2011
- NTPC ties up with Sri Lankan firm - Sep 06, 2011
- Three new power projects in Mizoram - Mar 27, 2010
- Himachal seeks gas-based power plant - Mar 02, 2011
- Hydro-power key to India's energy security: Study - Jun 21, 2012
- NTPC plans 1,000 MW thermal power plant in Gujarat - Mar 20, 2010
- Andhra bags Rs.5.57 lakh crore investment projects - Jan 12, 2012
- Power crisis grips northeast India - Apr 10, 2010
- Power-starved northeast India to get another 870 MW (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 08, 2010
- CESC acquires two hydroelectric projects - May 16, 2012
- BJP MP demands urgent attention to Arunachal dam issue - May 09, 2012