NSS supremo P.K.Narayana Panicker deadFebruary 29th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Changnacherry (Kerala) Feb 29 (IANS) P.K. Narayana Panicker, considered to be one of the leading lights of the Nair Service Society (NSS), the social organisation of the Kerala’s Nair community, passed away here Wednesday afternoon, the society said. He was 82.
He had been ailing for some time and passed away at his home near here.
“I was near him when he breathed his last. He will be missed very badly,” said NSS general secretary Sukumaran Nair.
Panicker became the NSS treasurer in 1977 and the all-powerfull general secretary in 1983. He became the NSS president last year.
A law graduate, Panicker through his pleasing manners, won the hearts of all and in the 1970s as the founder president of the National Democratic Party (NDP) the flagship political outfit of the Nair community.
From 1994 onwards, after the NDP became a non-entity in Kerala politics, the NSS under Panicker maintained an equidistance from the rival fronts that have been ruling the state.
“His passing away will create a void in the secular fabric of the state. He was one who maintained a cordial relationship with all,” said state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala.
- CPI-M attacks NSS for anti-Achuthanandan remarks - May 04, 2011
- Nair, Ezhava communities unite in Kerala - Sep 04, 2012
- Will place for 'Kerala Nair' in cabinet appease NSS? - Jan 19, 2011
- Woes for Chandy as IUML given fifth ministership - Apr 13, 2012
- Chandy to expand cabinet, IUML gets fifth berth - Apr 12, 2012
- Karunakaran turns 91, still dabbles in politics - Jun 20, 2009
- Kerala minister's father 'unsure' of compromise talks - Apr 19, 2012
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Achuthanandan flayed for 'smuggler' slur against ex-royal - Aug 22, 2011
- Communal politics goes viral in Kerala (Comment) - Apr 10, 2012
- Global Nair organisation to be launched in Delhi Sunday - Oct 16, 2010
- Why is no Kerala bigwig coming out in support of Tharoor? - Apr 18, 2010
- Malayalam film industry mourns Rajesh Khanna's death - Jul 18, 2012
- Congress in Kerala may be exulting too soon (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 22, 2010
- BJP leader Sukumaran Nambiar dies in Chennai - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: 1970s, congress president, cordial relationship, equidistance, fabric, feb 29, founder president, general secretary, kerala politics, law graduate, manners, nair service society, national democratic party, nss president, political outfit, ramesh chennithala, social organisation, state congress, sukumaran nair, wednesday afternoon