NSA invoked in Bihar to check increasing crimeJanuary 6th, 2012 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 6 (IANS)In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government Friday invoked the National Security Act till March 31, police said.
Official sources in the government said that regular reports of crimes across Bihar including the state capital, in the last few weeks have forced the government to invoke National Security Act to keep close watch on anti-social and criminal elements.
Incidents of abduction, extortion, murder, bank robbery, loot and chain snatching have reportedly increased in recent days.
Bihar police chief Abhayanand said that the state government has invoked Section 3 of the National Security Act, 1980. “It is a move to prevent criminals from committing crimes,” he said.
The state government has directed all district magistrates of Bihar to exercise the powers conferred by sub-section (2) of Section 3 within the local limits of their jurisdication for a period of three months.
Chief minister Nitish Kumar has repeatedly claimed that his government has established law and order in the state. But opposition leaders have contested this time and again.
- Extortion threats force Bihar doctor couple to leave government service - Sep 06, 2012
- Bihar to confiscate property of criminals - Sep 02, 2012
- Lalu to march to Bihar's villages 'to expose' Nitish - May 14, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals - Jul 06, 2012
- Train passengers robbed in Bihar - Jul 06, 2012
- BSP parliamentarian booked under stringent law - Dec 16, 2011
- 25 outlaws arrested in Karachi - Mar 18, 2012
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Bihar kidnappings shock, scare NRIs - Jan 02, 2011
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Agra rocked by spate of looting, shooting, killing - Feb 13, 2012
- Family of KBC Rs.5 crore winner fears his abduction - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: abduction, bank robbery, bihar government, chief minister, close watch, crimes, criminal elements, criminals, district magistrates, extortion, law and order, loot, national security act, nitish kumar, nsa, opposition leaders, police chief, section 3, state government, three months