NRIs demand access to information back home under RTINovember 4th, 2008 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) Non resident Indians in the US have demanded that they be allowed access to information related to public authorities back home under the Right to Information Act (RTI).NRIs have appealed to the Central Information Commission (CIC) to direct Indian missions abroad to provide information related to public authorities back home under the act.
The request from NRIs comes at a time when the country is taking stock of the problems in implementing the RTI Act in the last three years.
“The biggest problem we are facing is that the Indian embassy in the US accepts applications related to the embassy but returns RTI applications related to public authorities in India,” said Arun Gopalan, an RTI activist in the US and member of Association of India’s Development, at the CIC’s annual convention here.
“I have filed several RTI applications to public authorities in India through the Indian embassy in Washington in the last one year and am still awaiting a reply,” added Gopalan, a software programmer in Maryland.
The RTI Act, 2005, does not provide NRIs access to any information related to public authorities in India and they can only seek information related to Indian embassies in their respective countries. The CIC had issued an order in 2007 bringing the Indian embassies abroad under the purview of the RTI Act.
Vishal Kudchadkar, a software engineer from Los Angeles, who had filed an RTI application requesting information regarding the decision of the embassy not to forward RTI applications, said: “I hope the CIC will instruct the Indian embassy to forward RTI applications to other public authorities.”
According to NRIs, they are unable to participate in the transparency and accountability movement that promises to improve governance in India.
“The issue is debatable, as under the RTI Act embassies abroad are only authorised to provide information related to them,” a CIC official said.
- Using RTI difficult for us, says Indians abroad - Jan 16, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- Goa officer files complaint against RTI activist - Aug 25, 2012
- Court stays information panel's order on banks (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- Will strive to make RTI more effective, accessible: New CIC - Oct 10, 2010
- Donations by president: Information panel's order stayed - May 29, 2012
- Court stays fine imposed on Delhi airport operator - May 30, 2011
- Keep central record of ministers' air travel: CIC - Apr 01, 2011
- RTI applies to Commonwealth Games organising committee (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- 'Penalty imposed for denial of information unjustified' - Dec 17, 2010
- Transparency panel's order on Supreme Court cases stayed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Court suspends order to Delhi Police to provide Bhushan CD - Dec 09, 2011