NRI woman from Vancouver shot dead in Punjab villageMarch 5th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur (Punjab), March 5 (IANS) A day before she was to fly back to Canada, an Indian woman based in Vancouver was Thursday shot dead by unidentified assailants at her village in Punjab’s Hoshiarpur district.
Kuldeep Kaur, 32, was going to the gurudwara in Lehli village near Mahilpur town, 25 km from here, when she was attacked.
Police said she had been fired upon from close range and was hit by one bullet in the chest. She died on the spot.
Her husband Manjit Singh said the family had no idea about the attackers. He said she was rushed to the hospital in Hoshiarpur but doctors declared her brought dead.
Kuldeep, who was due to board a flight back to Vancouver Friday, had arrived in India with her husband in January this year.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Jasbir Singh said a case of murder had been registered.
Police officials added that they were looking at all aspects, including the contract killing angle.
In recent years, the trend of contract killing involving NRIs has increased in Punjab. There have been several instances of visiting NRIs attacked by contract killers, mostly over property and land disputes involving family members.
- Husband arrested over NRI wife's murder in Punjab - Mar 07, 2009
- Two double murders leave Ludhiana shocked - Feb 03, 2012
- More arrests likely in Punjab honour killing - Jul 25, 2010
- British team in Punjab to probe murder case - Sep 17, 2010
- Punjab man gets life term for klling wife in Vancouver - Mar 26, 2011
- Two cops booked for driving colleague to suicide - Mar 02, 2011
- Punjab man gets death for burning two sons to death - Sep 18, 2012
- Honour killing: 25-year old man killed in Punjab - Apr 16, 2012
- Youth killed, honour killing suspected - Jul 08, 2011
- Indo-Canadian woman killed by husband - Jul 29, 2011
- Father arrested for daughter's honour killing (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- NRI murdered in Punjab, search on for killers - Sep 07, 2010
- Abducted woman untraced, husband still in hospital - Jul 29, 2012
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- Cameron wants Pakistan to act on British family's murder - Aug 28, 2012