NRI in Bangkok kingpin in fake currency racket: policeJune 30th, 2008 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 30 (IANS) West Bengal police Monday claimed to have unearthed a racket in counterfeit Indian currency notes allegedly printed in Bangkok by an NRI and sent into the country through the international airport here. The matter came to light after the police recovered fake notes with market value of Rs.1 million from Javed Golum at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport last month.
“While interrogating him we have now come to know about a non-resident Indian (NRI) from Bangkok, Prem Singh, who is the kingpin of the racket,” Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Deputy Inspector General Rajiv Kumar told IANS here Monday.
“We are trying to gather more information on Singh and his activities,” Kumar added.
Asked whether Singh was supported by any external organisation like the Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Kumar refused to comment.
CID sources said Singh, a native of Haryana, has been living in Bangkok for the past many years and runs an apparel shop and a restaurant there.
“But behind the apparel and restaurant business, Singh prints fake notes and via Kolkata airport distributes them among agents for circulation across India. Generally he supplies the notes in carriers of electronic goods like plasma television and VCD players,” the source said.
The notes are taken from Kolkata airport mainly to Ahmedabad, Gorakhpur, Delhi and Mumbai.
- Fake currency racket busted in Kolkata, four held - Jun 11, 2010
- Bangladeshi in fake currency racket nabbed in Bengal - Feb 17, 2012
- Fresh trail links Karachi to fake Indian money in Nepal - Aug 12, 2011
- Five arrested with counterfeit notes printed in Pakistan - May 06, 2010
- Two arrested with Rs.1 lakh fake currency - Aug 24, 2011
- Two held in Uttar Pradesh with fake currency notes - Oct 12, 2010
- Counterfeit currency racket busted in Delhi - Sep 25, 2010
- Man held in Lucknow with Rs.1 lakh in fake currency - Aug 27, 2011
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Three held with fake currency worth Rs.1 lakh - Nov 18, 2011
- Man held with counterfeit currency - Nov 05, 2011
- Cops rescue abducted NRI in Kurukshetra - Apr 11, 2012
- Three held for circulating fake currency (Lead) - Apr 03, 2010
- Fake currency racket busted in Delhi, one held (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Man held for supplying fake notes from Bangladesh - Nov 05, 2010