NRI children: Indian officials to attend hearing in NorwayMarch 19th, 2012 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Ahead of the hearing on the custody row involving two NRI children, two senior Indian officials are expected to leave for Norway later this week.
The two-member team is expected to comprise a legal expert and a senior official of the external affairs ministry, official sources said. They have been instructed to go to Norway by External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and will attend the custody hearing on March 23.
India has been upping the pressure on Norway to speed up the return of the children who were taken away from their NRI parents on grounds of alleged negligence and emotional disconnect.
Amid public outrage and protests by the opposition, India last month sent special envoy Madhusudhan Ganapathi, secretary (West) in the external affairs ministry to Norway, to urge Norwegian authorities to find a solution to enable an early return of the children to India.
Three-year-old Abhigyan and one-year-old Aishwarya, children of Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya, an NRI couple living in Stavanger, Norway, were taken under protective care by Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services) last May on the ground that they were not being looked after properly by their parents
Over a month ago, India and Norway struck an agreement under which the parents named Anurup’s brother Arunabhash Bhattacharya as the primary caretaker of the two children. Arunabhash Bhattacharya is currently in Norway.
- Norway NRI row: India sends special envoy to Oslo - Feb 27, 2012
- NRI children row: India summons Norway envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- NRI children row: Indian officials to leave for Norway (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- NRI children row: Not filing for divorce, says father - Mar 21, 2012
- NRI children: India presses Norway for expediting solution - Feb 01, 2012
- NRI children: Indian officials' visit to Norway unlikely - Mar 20, 2012
- India to mount 'all-out efforts' for NRI children's return - Feb 23, 2012
- NRI children: Uncle to leave for Norway, India steps up pressure (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Norway may give Indian kids' custody to uncle (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- NRI kids: India pressurises Norway; BJP, CPI-M up ante (Intro Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- Ordeal ends for Norway NRI parents, uncle to get custody of kids - Jan 25, 2012
- Uncle may get custody of Indian kids in Norway: Report - Feb 28, 2012
- NRI children: India's special envoy pressures Oslo; BJP, CPI-M raise ante (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- Kids will be brought back, Krishna assures grandparents - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian children's return should be speeded up: Tharoor - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: caretaker, child welfare services, custody row, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, ganapathi, indian officials, krishna, legal expert, march 19, member team, ministry official, negligence, New Delhi, norwegian authorities, protests, public outrage, sagarika, secretary west, stavanger norway