NRI children back home from Norway (Lead)April 24th, 2012 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The two Non-Resident Indian (NRI) children in Norway who were taken into the custody by that country’s Child Welfare Services on grounds of alleged negligence by their parents, returned to India Tuesday.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur was at the airport here to welcome three-year-old Abhigyan and one-year-old Aishwarya along with their grand-parents. The children were accompanied by their Norwegian care-givers.
Abhigyan and Aishwarya, children of Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya, had been taken under protective care in May last year.
The siblings were given to their uncle, Arunabhash Bhattacharya, by a Norwegian court in the city of Stavanger Monday, following which the Indian government facilitated their return to India.
The Norwegian court’s decision came as a major breather for the Bhattacharya family, which had been trying to get back the custody of the children from their foster parents for nearly a year now.
The Indian government had put in all diplomatic efforts to ensure that the Indian siblings returned to their homeland and grew up in their family environment.
Soon after the children returned to India, External Affairs Minister S.K. Krishna stated that he was “delighted to welcome” them back home.
“They belong to India. They are Indian nationals,” he said, expressing the confidence that their uncle “will take care of them in the environment of their extended family in India.”
“All is well that ends well,” Krishna added.
Krishna also thanked the Norwegian government and his counterpart for his “constructive approach in resolving this humanitarian issue.”
He also congratulated the Norwegian judiciary.
- NRI children return home from Norway (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- NRI children return home from Norway (Third Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Norway custody case: Grandparents thank government - Apr 24, 2012
- Tearful mother greets kids back from Norway - Apr 26, 2012
- NRI children: Indian officials to attend hearing in Norway - Mar 19, 2012
- Norway may give Indian kids' custody to uncle (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- India to mount 'all-out efforts' for NRI children's return - Feb 23, 2012
- NRI children back home from Norway - Apr 24, 2012
- Ordeal ends for Norway NRI parents, uncle to get custody of kids - Jan 25, 2012
- NRI children: Uncle to leave for Norway, India steps up pressure (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Norway court hands over Indian children to uncle - Apr 23, 2012
- NRI children row: India summons Norway envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- Norway court hands over Indian children to uncle (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Norway NRI row: India sends special envoy to Oslo - Feb 27, 2012
- NRI children: India presses Norway for expediting solution - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: aishwarya, bhattacharya, care givers, child welfare services, constructive approach, diplomatic efforts, extended family, external affairs minister, family environment, foster parents, grand parents, humanitarian issue, indian government, indian nationals, krishna, minister of state, norwegian government, return to india, s child, sagarika