NRHM scam: IAS officer arrested, sent to CBI custody (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow/Ghaziabad, May 10 (IANS) Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Pradeep Shukla, who held the charge of principal secretary (medical health) in the previous Mayawati government, was Thursday arrested by the CBI for his alleged involvement in the multi-crore National Rural Health Mission (NHRM) scam.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which had earlier grilled the 1981-batch IAS officer for more than nine hours March 22, arrested him from the Amausi airport in Lucknow, agency sources said.
Shukla was produced before a special CBI court in Ghaziabad which sent to the agency’s custody for four days till May 17.
The CBI had requested the court to grant them them 10 days custody.
In its application, the CBI submitted that Shukla, as the then principal secretary (medical health, was the head of committee that decided the allotment of the contracts to different agencies, due which the state suffered a loss of about Rs.30 crore.
The agency submitted that Shukla, named in three FIRs, had only appeared once before the agency and did not cooperate in the investigation.
Opposing the CBI’s plea, defence counsel Jai Prakash Sharma submitted that the CBI wanted to falsely implicate Shukla in the scam. It did not possesses any evidence against Shukla and so the CBI plea deserved to be rejected, he said.
In Lucknow, agency sources told IANS that Shukla’s complicity in awarding contracts worth Rs.1,170 crore without an open tender during 2009-2011 period for construction of hospitals and disbursement of a fund of Rs.1,546 crore to an unauthorized society, was “beyond doubt”.
Shukla is believed to have disclosed names of some top government functionaries and politicians linked to the scam that rocked the Mayawati government.
Sources told IANS that Shukla was likely to be flown to the New Delhi headquarters of the agency for further questioning.
The Allahabad High Court, which is monitoring the NHRM probe, had recently rapped the CBI for tardy progress in the case.
- Senior IAS officer arrested in NRHM scam - May 10, 2012
- CBI raids former UP health minister - Jun 02, 2012
- NHRM scam: Court asks Uttar Pradesh to explain delay - Aug 23, 2012
- NRHM scam: CBI raids senior IAS officer - Jan 19, 2012
- NRHM scam: CBI raids 60 places, ex-BSP minister under scanner (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- NRHM scam: CBI raids 45 places, ex-BSP man under scanner - Jan 04, 2012
- NHRM scam: CBI raids in UP, Gujarat - Aug 30, 2012
- Special CBI courts to be set up in Lucknow, Ghaziabad - Jun 09, 2012
- Former Jharkhand health secretary jailed for corruption - Aug 08, 2011
- NRHM scam: Court raps Uttar Pradesh for delay in prosecution (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Medical scam accused sent to CBI custody - Jan 06, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh healthcare scam: Engineer shoots himself (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- NRHM case: Former UP minister, BSP legislator arrested (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- CBI charge sheet against Uttar Pradesh ex-minister - May 31, 2012
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Fourth Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: agency sources, allahabad high court, allotment, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, complicity, defence counsel, disbursement, firs, ghaziabad, government sources, indian administrative service, Mayawati, medical health, national rural health, national rural health mission, open tender, prakash, principal secretary, shukla