NRHM scam: CBI raids senior IAS officerJanuary 19th, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 19 (IANS) Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sleuths Thursday raided the residences of senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Pradeep Shukla in connection with the Rs.8,000 crore National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam in Uttar Pradesh.
Shukla, who had earlier held the position of principal secretary in the state health and family welfare department, is posted as member in the Board of Revenue.
The raids were part of the agency’s crackdown at about 40 places across Uttar Pradesh and New Delhi that followed the registration of fresh cases against some more suspects in the scam, which also led to murder of three chief medical officers of Lucknow.
Another key accused in the case is the state’s former family welfare minister Babu Singh Kushwaha, who was on the spotlight for being ushered into Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) after being expelled by Chief Minister Mayawati from the BSP.
Special CBI teams reached Lucknow Thursday morning and fanned out in different directions, including the residence and commercial establishments owned by a leading local businessman whose proximity to Shukla was widely known.
Holding dual charge as NRHM director, Shukla was also responsible for distribution of money and awarding contracts to various firms to supply medicines under the scheme. CBI was stated to have unearthed some fake companies that were floated by a few bureaucrats in collaboration with local businessmen to supply medicines and equipment.
Shukla, who was earlier questioned at the CBI headquarters in New Delhi, is suspected to be one of the beneficiaries of the illegal deals.
Significantly, his wife is also an IAS officer. The couple was widely known to hold key positions, including that of Lucknow district magistrate. Shukla was also a topper of the 1980 IAS batch.
- NRHM case: Former UP minister, BSP legislator arrested (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Day after joining BJP, Kushwaha's premises raided (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Fresh raids by CBI in UP's multi-billion NRHM scam (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Fourth Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- NRHM scam: CBI raids 45 places, ex-BSP man under scanner - Jan 04, 2012
- NHRM scam: CBI raids in UP, Gujarat - Aug 30, 2012
- NRHM scam: CBI raids 60 places, ex-BSP minister under scanner (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Three more held for health scheme scam in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Third Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Political war erupts as CBI raids Kushwaha's premises (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- Former ministers asked to vacate house - Nov 25, 2011
- UP health scam: CBI launches massive search operation - Feb 24, 2012
- CBI arrests ex-official in health scheme scam - Jan 07, 2012
- Differences in NDA over ex-BSP man Kushwaha - Jan 04, 2012
- UP health scam: CBI conducts massive search operation - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: babu, cbi raids, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, commercial establishments, district magistrate, family welfare, indian administrative service, janata party, kushwaha, Mayawati, medical officers, national rural health, national rural health mission, principal secretary, rs 8, shukla, sleuths, state health, welfare department