Now separate zones to feed stray dogs in the cityDecember 18th, 2009 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) Good news for all animal lovers as the Delhi High Court Friday ordered setting up separate zones in the capital where people can go and feed stray dogs.
Justice V.K. Jain passed the order for the Animal Welfare Board while hearing the petitions of people who sought protection from their neighbours who allegedly abused and assaulted them for feeding stray dogs in their localities.
The court also directed the Resident Welfare Associations (RWAs) and Delhi Police to cooperate for creating special zones for stray animals.
Meera Bhatia, standing counsel for Delhi Police, informed the court that the concerned police station-incharge will help the animal welfare board to find a suitable place for stray dogs in the area.
The court also directed the board to take care of the dogs and give them proper vaccination on regular basis and asked it to file a compliance report by Feb 4, the next date of hearing.
One of the petitioners, Namrata Chanda, earlier this year had sought a direction for security to her as some of her neighbours had allegedly assaulted her for feeding dogs.
She claimed that being an animal rights activist, she also regularly insured vaccination and sterilization of stray dogs as per the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.
Jasmine Damkewala, a practising lawyer, who was also one of the victims of neighbours’ assault, also moved the court seeking protection. He said, “Many dog loving citizens have come forward to file their complaints as we face resentment from every quarter for feeding dogs. Even the NGO Frendicoes has filed a petition before the court. We don’t want people with such mentality to hamper our task.”
- Court permits separate zones, timings for feeding stray dogs - Feb 04, 2010
- Police asked to protect woman who feeds stray dogs - Aug 12, 2009
- Dogs' day out in Delhi, sterilisation in a fix - Aug 02, 2010
- Bangalore's dogs have hundreds signing up in support - Nov 03, 2010
- Book Maneka Gandhi's animal shelter: Court - May 24, 2012
- Delhi court pulls up government on ration - Apr 18, 2011
- Court questions Delhi power firms on audit of accounts (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Court dismisses Delhi orphanage's plea - Feb 29, 2012
- Family attacked for trying to save dogs - May 04, 2011
- Morning walks on halt as dogs take to streets - Jan 23, 2011
- Workers' welfare boards' accounts to be audited: Apex court (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- We have reclaimed land from mosque, DDA tells court - Jan 14, 2011
- Fight over dog biscuit leads to arrest - Feb 07, 2011
- Reward announced for information on people involved in dog fighting - May 31, 2012
- Reward for info on dog fights (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: animal lovers, animal rights activist, animal welfare board, chanda, compliance report, cruelty to animals, delhi high court, delhi police, dogs in the city, feeding dogs, incharge, loving citizens, neighbours, petitioners, prevention of cruelty to animals, rwas, sterilization, stray animals, stray dogs, suitable place