Now, resdisover Nehru’s idea of India in DVDJune 28th, 2008 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) The government has embarked on a fresh drive to encourage the people, especially students, to rediscover Jawaharlal Nehru’s concept of a modern secular India that is at the same time anchored in its ancient history. Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi launched a DVD version of “Bharat Ek Khoj”, the famous 53-episode television serial based on the classic “Discovery of India” authored by India’s first prime minister, at a function Friday night.
“It can be an instrument to educate our future generations about the history of our great civilization. Whatever the cost, it would be made available in educational institutions and libraries around the country,” Dasmunsi said.
The information and broadcasting ministry will approach the human resource development ministry to ensure that all libraries and colleges have a copy of the DVD of this contemporary classic.
Dasmunsi exhorted private TV channels to be more sensitive to issues and asked them to rise above the frenetic TRP race to contribute to social causes.
The broader aim is to popularize the idea of a modern, secular India that was epitomized in the writings and persona of Nehru, a senior official associated with the project said.
Renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal, who directed the famous TV serial starring Roshan Seth in the role of Nehru, was upbeat about the DVD version of his brainchild.
Fondly recalling the experience of making the serial, he said the 53 episodes were the result of daily shooting for 19 months at a stretch with over 500 actors at 144 different sets, supported by 10 script writers and guidance of 22 well-known historians.
The DVD will encourage the new generation and Indians all over the world to rediscover the spirit of this great nation, Benegal said.
The promotion of Nehru’s idea of India that is often contrasted with rightwing versions of Indian history is part of the larger educational agenda of the new government.
- Literary works find new space on small screen - Jun 23, 2010
- 40 artists donate to South Asian art platform - Nov 05, 2011
- Change of guard at Nehru Memorial Library - Jul 03, 2011
- Jantakhoj.com lists records of nearly 40 percent of Indian population - Oct 07, 2010
- Doordarshan turns 50, Soni invites Shyam Benegal - Sep 15, 2009
- Special committee for TRP soon: Ambika Soni - Aug 27, 2012
- Nehru worked for One World - until he felt let down - Jul 30, 2012
- Journey into outer space awaits Games visitors - Jun 18, 2010
- Jimmy Choo's capsule collection of iconic styles - Jun 16, 2011
- What Pranab said in his first presidential speech (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Revamped Nehru Planetarium gears up for Games visitors - Oct 01, 2010
- What Pranab said in his first presidential speech - Jul 25, 2012
- Veteran cinematographer Murthy to get Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2008 - Jan 19, 2010
- Vidya present to support Sabyasachi at WIFW finale - Apr 11, 2011
- A glimpse of historic Cellular Jail in Mumbai - Jan 24, 2012