Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir’s support for girl childMay 11th, 2012 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 11 (IANS) After well-known actress Madhuri Dixit reportedly turned down Maharashtra’s offer as brand ambassador for tourism, the state has sought megastar Aamir Khan’s support for its various public welfare schemes that aim to protect girl child, a top official said.
Health Minister Suresh Shetty said following the immense popularity of Aamir Khan’s new tele-show “Satyamev Jayate”,he has already written to the film star for support to the government’s campaign against female foeticide, which is rampant in some pockets.
The state move came barely a day after Aamir Khan held a high-profile meeting with Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on the issue of female foeticide and sought his government’s initiatives to tackle the menace.
Besides, top stars like Ajay Devgn and his wife Kajol will make a documentary on “Save the Girl Child” free of cost for the state government, an official said.
“They have penned the script which has been approved and will now be taken forward,” the official added.
Well-known Marathi actors Sachin Pilgaonkar, his wife Supriya and their teenaged daughter Shriya are the brand ambassadors for the state-run campaign against female foeticide. “They are endorsing this noble cause without charging any honorarium,” the official said.
In his letter to Aamir Khan, Shetty said Maharashtra has so far registered cases against 317 sonography centres in the state found conducting unauthorized sex determination tests on foetuses.
Besides, 27 doctors and four families of persons who sought the sex tests have been convicted with fines and jail terms in 25 cases lodged under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act in the state.
Shetty pointed out that the four doctors have been deregistered by the State Medical Council and names of another 40 doctors have been submitted for deregistration after they were booked under the PCPNDT Act.
“So far, 34 sting operations have been conducted involving decoy clients. Seven doctors have been convicted with fine and imprisonment for revealing sex of the foetus to the decoy clients. Other cases are awaiting trial in the courts,” Shetty added.
Highlighting various other measures initiated in this regard, Shetty appealed to Aamir Khan to support and associate with Maharashtra’s cause of elevating the status of the girl child and campaign against sex determination.
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Activists slam device claiming to curb female foeticide - Dec 15, 2011
- Maharashtra moots murder charge for female foeticide - Jul 10, 2012
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Maharashtra orders crackdown on illegal sex tests - Jun 07, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' grows more popular than Aamir! - May 14, 2012
- Goa looks to Kolhapur scheme to improve sex ratio - Jun 01, 2011
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, actress madhuri, deregistration, female foeticide, foetuses, girl child, honorarium, immense popularity, jail terms, madhuri dixit, medical council, public welfare, sex determination, sex tests, shriya, state move, sting operations, supriya, teenaged daughter, welfare schemes