Now a free ‘Billu’ show for Ranchi hairdressersFebruary 17th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 17 (IANS) As many as 270 hairdressers here are set for some royal treatment as they will not only get to see “Billu”, the latest Shah Rukh Khan-starrer, free of cost, but will also be treated to refreshments.
Sujata Cinema Hall, a miniplex here, has decided to hold a special show Thursday of “Billu”, about a barber’s friendship with a film star, just for the city’s hairdressers.
“We have decided to screen the movie free of cost to 270 barbers of Ranchi on Thursday. The move is aimed at bringing cheer on the faces of barbers who work hard to earn their livelihood,” Dushyant Jaiswal, owner of the cinema hall, told reporters here.
The decision was taken after consulting the Ranchi Nayee (barber) Association (RNA).
According to sources, Thursday was chosen because people normally avoid cutting their hair and shaving on the day.
“The barbers are neglected in the society. The movie is a step forward to recognise our job,” said Tanik Thakur, secretary of RNA.
“Billu” revolves around the barber Billu (Irrfan Khan) whose friend Sahir Khan (Shah Rukh) becomes a superstar and comes to shoot a movie near his village.
Earlier the film was titled “Billu Barber” but it landed in controversy after hairdressers associations got offended. Shah Rukh, who is also producing the film, promptly chopped off the the second half of the film’s name.
Shah Rukh had also organised a show for some 600 barbers at the Gaiety theatre in Mumbai a day before the film’s release.
- Ranchi hairdressers get free tickets of Billu - Feb 18, 2009
- Bollywood formula: Controversy plus buzz equals publicity (Feature) - Aug 20, 2011
- 'Billu' - an ordinary man's extraordinary tale (Preview) - Feb 11, 2009
- World looking at us through 'Bollywood window': Writer Mushtaq Sheikh - May 29, 2012
- For me, he was 'Humble saab': Subhash Ghai - Aug 26, 2012
- 'RA.One' superhero is a family man, says SRK - Oct 14, 2011
- 'MNIK' releases in 13 Mumbai halls to huge response - Feb 12, 2010
- Shekhar Kapur praises VFX in SRK's 'Ra.One' trailer - Mar 25, 2011
- 24 years on, SRK again woos fans as army man - Sep 06, 2012
- Protests against MNIK fizzle out in Gujarat (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- SRK game to being Bengal brand ambassador - Nov 11, 2011
- ''Billu Barber'' will have no ''barber'' in title - Feb 09, 2009
- Katrina or Anushka: Who'll drape white chiffon sari? - Sep 05, 2012
- 'MNIK' released in Orissa amidst stray protests (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- The many 'Shah Rukhis' of Vienna head for Berlin - Jan 20, 2012