Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrimsJanuary 7th, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 7 (IANS) Free kitchens set up by voluntary organizations to feed pilgrims undertaking the Amarnath Yatra will now prepare food as per a specific diet chart, suiting the climatic conditions at high altitudes.
The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) that manages the affairs of the Amarnath pilgrimage will be issuing an advisory to this effect, according to a spokesman of the board.
The Amarnath shrine is situated at a height of 3,888 metres above sea level in south Kashmir and involves trekking through narrow, slippery and steep mountainous paths.
“Jammu and Kashmir governor N.N. Vohra, who is the chairman of SASB, has emphasized the need for preparing a standard diet chart for the ‘Langar’ (community kitchen) meal prepared by voluntary organisations, which takes into account the nutritional requirement of the pilgrims, particularly in view of the high altitude and difficult climatic conditions,” the spokesman said.
The Governor also stressed the importance of maintaining hygienic conditions in and around all such kitchens during the entire pilgrimage period, which is usually of two months’ duration during the summer. Last year, more than 600,000 pilgrims visited the shrine.
Vohra said the SASB would shortly bring out a comprehensive advisory (Do’s and Don’ts) and publicize it widely for the benefit of prospective pilgrims.
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Dead Amarnath pilgrims fudged health certificates: report - Jul 20, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: amarnath pilgrims, amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, climatic conditions, community kitchen, diet chart, high altitude, high altitudes, hygienic conditions, jammu and kashmir, jan 7, kashmir, pilgrimage, sasb, shri, shrine board, south kashmir, vohra, voluntary organisations, voluntary organizations