Notification issued for UP Rajya Sabha seatsMarch 12th, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 12 (IANS) Notification for elections for 10 Rajya Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh was issued here Monday.
The March 30 polls are being keenly watched as outgoing chief minister Mayawati is likely to be a candidate for one of the two seats her Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is likely to win.
Based on its reduced strength of 80 legislators in the 403-member house, BSP can send only two nominees to the upper house of parliament. The nominations are open till March 19 and can be withdrawn until March 22.
Voting for the 10 seats would take place March 30. The results will be known the same evening.
Other than Mayawati, former cabinet secretary and close aide Shashank Shekhar Singh was in the running but aides to the Dalit leader told IANS that his chances had dimmed.
At a party meeting, BSP leaders blamed the former cabinet secretary for the party’s woes and accused him of isolating the once accesible Mayawati from her supporters.
Six members of the Rajya Sabha are retiring April 2. Till now the BSP was the third largest party in the Rajya Sabha after Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
The Samajwadi Party (SP), with its 224 members, can send six candidates to the Rajya Sabha while the BJP is likely to get one seat.
The 10th seat would be decided by a mixed bag of votes that could include the Rashtriya Lok Dal and the Congress votes.
The Rajya Sabha members whose term is ending include Pramod Kureel, M. Ali, Jai Prakash, Ganga Charan Rajput and Naresh Agarwal (all BSP), Vinay Katiyar and Kalraj Mishra (BJP), Mahendra Mohan Gupta and Veerpal Singh Yadav (SP) and Mahmood Ali Madni (RLD).
Jai Prakash and Naresh Agarwal recently joined the SP.
- Kalraj Mishra quits Rajya Sabha - Mar 21, 2012
- Maharashtra readies for Rajya Sabha race - Mar 05, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan files Rajya Sabha papers from Uttar Pradesh - Mar 17, 2012
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- Mayawati files nomination for Rajya Sabha - Mar 13, 2012
- Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline) - Sep 05, 2012
- Maya's olive branch to Congress on Uttarakhand - Mar 12, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- UP set for hung house, SP leads, BSP routed (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- UP voters dethrone Mayawati, choose Mulayam over BJP, Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Lokpal bill goes to committee, Anna announces another agitation (Roundup) - May 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill sent to Rajya Sabha select committee (Lead) - May 21, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, cabinet secretary, charan, chief minister, house of parliament, m ali, mahendra, mahmood ali, Mayawati, mishra, naresh, prakash, pramod, rajput, rajya sabha, rld, Samajwadi Party, shekhar, upper house of parliament, vinay katiyar