Notice to DU, St. Stephen’s on principal’s appointmentAugust 1st, 2012 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notices to Delhi University and St. Stephen’s College on an appeal challenging the single judge’s order that upheld the appointment of Valson Thampu as the principal of the prestigious college.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajeev Sahai Endlaw also issued notice to Thampu and sought responses by Oct 11.
Former vice principal M.S. Frank in his appeal challenged the single judge order of July 3, and alleged that Thampu was illegally holding the post of principal and did not have a valid PhD degree, the minimum qualification.
Justice Siddharth Mridul July 3 dismissed Frank’s petition, ruling that Thampu possessed the essential qualification for the post. He also refused to interfere with the decision taken by the experts who appointed Thampu.
“The writ petition does not want any interference. The decision taken by the experts, namely the University Grant Commission and the Delhi University, to the effect that Valson Thampu possesses essential qualification for the post of principal of St. Stephen’s College is a decision which in my view ought to be left to experts rather than courts,” Justice Mridul had said.
The Allahabad Agricultural University had awarded Thampu a PhD in theology. But theology was not taught at Delhi University and the relevance of Thampu’s PhD for the post of principal was not certain, Frank said.
However, the order had said that UGC had given clarification to the effect that the PhD degree awarded by the Allahabad Agricultural University was a valid degree.
Thampu was appointed principal of St. Stephen’s College on Sep 12, 2008.
- Thampu qualified to head St. Stephen's College: Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- St.Stephens, DU's response sought on plea against principal - Oct 20, 2009
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- St. Stephen's moves court against Sandeep Dikshit's society - Sep 24, 2011
- Revamped alumni body to boost St Stephen's master plan - Jun 06, 2011
- Quraishi's appointment to St Stephen's governing body upheld - Feb 08, 2010
- St Stephen's row: Court pulls up principal - Dec 03, 2009
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Court allows judge to join Ph.D. course in Delhi varsity - Jan 30, 2012
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- Court questions Delhi University on Ph.D. admission (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- St. Stephen's acting principal resigns - Mar 15, 2008
- St Stephen's governing body row: Court ruling Thursday - Dec 02, 2009
Tags: allahabad agricultural university, chief justice, clarification, delhi high court, delhi university, division bench, minimum qualification, mridul, New Delhi, oct 11, phd degree, prestigious college, rajeev, s college, sahai, siddharth, theology, university grant commission, vice principal, writ petition