Notice to Delhi over delayed admission of 1,400 studentsNovember 2nd, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to the Delhi government on a petition seeking directions to start the process for admission of 1,400 students to Class 6 of its 17 Rajkiya Pratibha Vikas Vidyalayas (RPVV) in the academic year 2011-12.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw issued the notice, returnable by Nov 23, to the Delhi government’s directorate of education.
The court was hearing a petition of NGO Social Jurist through its counsel Ashok Agarwal that they have been regularly telling the directorate to go ahead with the process for admission of 1,400 students to Class 6 in as many as 17 of these schools but no satisfactory reply has been received so far.
Though the academic session 2011-12 has started from April 1, 2011, till date even the admission process has not been started by the respondent, Agarwal said. This, he added, was resulting in non-utilisation of both physical and academic infrastructure available for such students in these schools.
“The respondent has been withholding the process of admission without any justification, thereby depriving as many as 1,400 students from taking benefit of good quality education,” he said.
“Inaction on the part of the respondent has resulted in violation of fundamental rights of the school-aged students as guaranteed under Articles 14, 15, 21, 21-A and 38 of the Constitution of India read with the provisions of Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009,” the petition said.
- Court notice to Delhi school on student's plea - Jul 10, 2011
- Nursery admissions on course as court reserves order (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Court refuses to stay toddlers' admission in Delhi schools (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Girl drags school to court on admission - Jul 25, 2011
- Delhi court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus - Jan 27, 2012
- Court notice on pre-primary classes in state-run schools - Sep 06, 2012
- NGO challenges government's order on nursery admissions - Dec 19, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi University on M.A. Music entrance test - Nov 20, 2011
- Court questions Delhi government on education of disabled - Jul 10, 2011
- Admission test for Delhi government schools opposed - Apr 04, 2010
- School slaps 'property tax' on students, parents move court - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: academic infrastructure, academic session, academic year, ashok, chief justice, compulsory education act, constitution of india, delhi government, delhi high court, directorate of education, division bench, fundamental rights, inaction, jurist, nov 2, quality education, rajiv, respondent, sahai, satisfactory reply