Notice to Delhi government over schoolboy’s injuryNovember 2nd, 2011 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 2 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to the state government on an NGO’s complaint that school authorities had failed to ensure timely treatment for Class 7 student who suffered an eye injury in a stone-pelting incident in the school premises in August.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw converted a letter, written by an NGO, into a petition and issued the notice, returnable by Dec 14, to the education department.
The NGO’s president wrote a letter to the high court, seeking action against the school authorities and the government who failed to take lesson from the previous incident in which a girl of Class 11 lost her eyes.
Bijay Soni, of the Government Boys Senior Secondary School of New Seemapuri in east Delhi, was injured Aug 29 when some boys started pelting stones.
After the incident, the teachers took him to the hospital, but left him outside the emergency ward of the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital. However, the parents reached the spot and took him to the Guru Nanak Hospital from where he was referred to the All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
In a day or two, the AIIMS will operate on his eye and replace it with an artificial eye.
The NGO seeks direction to the authorities concerned to provide him appropriate compensation.
“The incident took place due to school authorities’ carelessness,” said the letter.
- Court questions government, school on girl's eye injury - Mar 23, 2011
- Girl injured in Delhi school to get Rs.3 lakh - May 04, 2011
- Court notice on pre-primary classes in state-run schools - Sep 06, 2012
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Situation remains largely peaceful in Kashmir Valley, stray incidents of stone throwing - Oct 31, 2010
- Over 40 injured in violent protests in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- Court notice over girls' admission to Delhi school - May 23, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Chidambaram assails stone-pelters as Kashmir schools reopen - Sep 27, 2010
- Nursery admissions on course as court reserves order (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Replace tent classrooms with portable cabins: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Census enumerators thrashed in Delhi - Feb 16, 2011
- Two policemen injured as miscreants pelt stones in Kashmir - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: aiims, artificial eye, carelessness, delhi government, delhi high court, division bench, east delhi, education department, emergency ward, eye injury, guru nanak, guru tegh, medical sciences, rajiv, sahai, school authorities, school premises, schoolboy, soni, timely treatment