Notable hostage crises worldwideNovember 28th, 2008 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 28 (IANS) Following is a list of the high-profile hostage abductions that have occurred worldwide:Sep 5, 1972: Members of Palestinian group Black September killed two Israeli athletes and seized nine others at Olympic Village in Munich, West Germany, during the Summer Olympics. Nine hostages, five militants, one German officer died in botched rescue.
June 27, 1976: Palestinian and Baader-Meinhof militants forced Air France jet to land at Entebbe, Uganda. Israeli army rescued 103 hostages from airport terminal in battle with terrorists and Ugandan troops; 32 killed in all.
Nov 4, 1979: Iranian radicals seized US embassy in Tehran, taking 66 Americans hostage; 52 were held until Jan. 20, 1981.
Nov 20, 1979: 200 Islamic terrorists seized Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and held hundreds of pilgrims hostage. Saudi forces retook mosque Dec 4, about 250 died.
Oct 23, 2002: Chechen guerrillas seized theatre in Moscow, held 700 hostages; Russian authorities gassed theatre; most guerrillas and about 128 hostages were killed.
Sep 1, 2004: Militants seized school in Beslan in North Ossetia, Russia; held 1,000 plus hostages for 3 days before Russian troops stormed school. About 330 killed, including 27 hostage-takers. Blamed on Chechen militants.
(Source: The World Almanac and Book of Facts)
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- At least two dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Russia's Chechnya, Ingushetia involved in land grabbing row - Aug 27, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda militant killed in Chechnya - May 05, 2011
- 10 to be held accountable for Philippines bus hijack - Sep 17, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Chinese who took girl hostage shot dead - Aug 11, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Seven dead as Philippine hostage crisis ends (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2010
- Hostage rescued, gunfight starts in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011