Not wrong about MPs: KejriwalFebruary 27th, 2012 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Feb 27 (IANS) Upholding his claim about entry of criminals into parliament, India Against Corruption Activist and key Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal Sunday said he did not speak anything wrong.
While addressing a voters’ awareness summit in Greater Noida Saturday, Kejriwal said: “All types of elements have entered the parliament, including robbers, murderers and rapists. Parliament has become the biggest problem of the country.”
“It is now essential to change its character. We need a complete revolution in the country and a change of the system,” he added.
Clarifying his statement a day after, Kejriwal said: “One-third members of the existing parliament have criminal cases registered against them. Of these, 14 are those booked for murder, 20 have attempt to murder cases registered against them.
“Eleven members have case of cheating and forgery against them while kidnapping cases have been lodged against 13. In the ongoing assembly polls in UP (Uttar Pradesh), five candidates have even rape cases registered against them.
“And cases of corruption are lodged against several MPs, including Kanimozhi, Raja, Kalmadi, Lalu Yadav and Mulayam Singh Yadav.
“Had CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) been an independent investigating agency, people like Chidambram would also have been facing corruption cases.
“Can such a parliament can make the country free of corruption and crime. Today if somebody commits a rape or murder, it takes 25-30 years for the court’s decision to come. Why does this happen?”
“Such persons against whom cases have been levied would never want that system would change and would like the cases to be finished at the earliest. So long as people like Kanomozhi, Kalmadi, Raja, Lalu and Mulayam are in parliament, a strong Jan Lok Pal could never be passed because if a strong bill and strong judicial system comes into force, these persons stand the chance to be in jail,” Kejriwal said.
“It does not mean altogether that parliament is devoid of good people. But good people are very less and they are helpless as the parliament is held captive by such corruption and criminals,” he added.
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev plays down differences with Kejriwal (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Kejriwal walks out of Hazare-Ramdev fast venue - Jun 03, 2012
- Kejriwal's 'rapist-MPs' remark draws Congress, BJP ire - Feb 26, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Kejriwal's 'rapist-MPs' remark angers politicians (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Team Anna vows to unseat corrupt, bring changes in policy - Oct 18, 2011
- Raja Bhaiya dents Akhilesh's clean credentials - Mar 15, 2012
- Kejriwal defends his remarks about politicians - Feb 27, 2012
- Privilege notice issued to Arvind Kejriwal - Mar 17, 2012
- Raja Bhaiya, Samajwadi Party MP arrested for bid on candidate - Dec 19, 2010
- Have not said anything wrong, says Kejriwal - Mar 26, 2012
- Kejriwal to court arrest - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,