Not involved in Games’ equipment purchases: KalmadiMay 24th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi Thursday told a Delhi court hearing a corruption case related to the 2010 sporting event here that he was not involved in procurement of equipment.
He said that the OC only gave recommendations for buying timing, scoring and result (TSR) system for the Games and was not involved in the purchase.
Kalmadi’s counsel Harshad Ponda told Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh that neither Kalmadi nor the OC were involved in the process of procurement of equipments.
He said that Swiss Timing was held to be the best and reliable TSR system by various committees, consisting of senior government officials and members of the national and international federations.
“There was a recommendation by members of international federation in a meeting held in March 2009 that Swiss Timing had the best and reliable system,” said the defence counsel.
Ponda said various committees were constituted and they took the decision after going through all the details.
Kalmadi will continue his arguments on charge May 26.
The CBI in its first charge sheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding the Rs.141 crore contract for a scoring system.
The accused officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Sports ministry knew about Games purchases: Kalmadi - May 28, 2012
- Kalmadi opposes charges in CWG graft case - May 23, 2012
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- CBI alleges lapse in awarding 2010 Games contract (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- CWG graft case: Ex-official's bail plea to be heard June 6 - May 30, 2011
- CWG scam: Lalit Bhanot's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot calls CBI case prejudiced - Jul 27, 2012
- CWG graft: Bhanot denies financial role - Jul 26, 2012
- Bhanot opposes charges in CWG graft case (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- CWG case: Kalmadi's bail plea dismissed - Jun 06, 2011
- CWG scam: Argument on charge from Feb 1 (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- CBI files chargesheet against Kalmadi, eight others (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, cwg, defence counsel, delhi court, equipment purchases, financial irregularities, harshad, indian penal code, international federations, organising committee, ponda, prevention of corruption act, special judge, suresh kalmadi, swiss timing