Not enough evidence against Bofors’ Quattrochi: CBIJanuary 4th, 2011 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday told a court that it didn’t have enough evidence against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrochi to prosecute him in the Bofors payoff scandal.The CBI plea at the Tis Hazari court came a day after an Income Tax tribunal ruled that Quattrocchi and his associate Win Chadha had received a commission of over Rs.412 million in the nearly Rs.15-billion Howitzer gun deal of 1986, in violation of government’s policy.
The court is expected to deliver its verdict later in the day.
The lawyer opposing the CBI plea, Ajay Agarwal, has claimed he has enough evidence against Quattrocchi, but the agency still wanted to give the case a quiet burial. He has formally filed his objections.
The CBI is seeking to drop criminal proceedings against Quattrocchi on the grounds that there was no evidence against him and that persisting with the case would serve no purpose.
The agency had in 1999 charged former defence secretary S.K. Bhatnagar, Quattrocchi, Chadha, former Bofors chief Martin Ardbo and the company in connection with the case.
Bhatnagar, Ardbo and Chadha are dead. Quattrocchi - who has never appeared before any court in India - is the only surviving accused.
The CBI had failed on two occasions to get Quattrocchi extradited — first from Malaysia in 2003 and then from Argentina in 2007.
- CBI wants Quattrocchi case withdrawn despite new twist (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Chronology: Bofors graft row over last 25 years - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Court to resume Bofors payoff closure case Thursday (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- Bofors deal: Decision on dropping Quattrocchi cases Feb 21 - Feb 10, 2011
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- The scandal that shook India two decades ago (Bofors Chronology) - Mar 04, 2011
- Bofors payoff closure case deferred to Thursday (Intro Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- No change in CBI plan to withdraw Bofors case, court told - Jan 06, 2011
- Bofors ghost out again to haunt Congress - Jan 03, 2011
- Bofors scam returns to haunt Congress - Jan 03, 2011
- Delhi court pulls up CBI in Bofors scam case - Feb 10, 2011
- BJP takes on PM, Sonia in Bofors scandal - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: ajay, bhatnagar, bofors, cbi, central bureau of investigation, criminal proceedings, defence secretary, gun deal, howitzer, italian businessman, objections, payoff scandal, plea, quattrocchi, quattrochi, quiet burial, tax tribunal, tis hazari court, two occasions, win chadha