Norway not to release Indian kidsMarch 22nd, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Oslo, March 22 (IANS) Norwegian authorities have said they cannot hand over two Indian kids in foster care to their uncle because of reports of “conflicts” in the family.
A court hearing planned for Friday to decide the fate of the children has also been put off, the BBC reported Thursday.
New developments in the case make it impossible to carry out the hearing in Stavenger district court, scheduled for March 23, BBC quoted Stavenger City Council as saying.
This followed media reports of “marital problems” between the parents.
Local social services say the parents failed to look after their children. The parents deny this. The couple, Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya, say “cultural differences” led to the situation.
On Wednesday, Indian diplomats also put off a trip to Norway to monitor the court case for the custody of the children.
Three-year-old Abhigyan and one-year-old Aishwariya Bhattacharya were put in foster care by the Stavanger Child Welfare Service last May, after it felt they were at risk.
The case has received a lot of media attention in India and caused anger. This became a diplomatic issue between the two countries, with India saying the children should be allowed to live in their own cultural and linguistic environment.
- India to Norway: Separating kids from parents unjustified - Jan 06, 2012
- NRI children: Uncle to leave for Norway, India steps up pressure (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- India protests Norway move on NRI couple's children - Feb 23, 2012
- Uncle may get custody of Indian kids in Norway: Report - Feb 28, 2012
- NRI children back home from Norway (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- India to mount 'all-out efforts' for NRI children's return - Feb 23, 2012
- NRI children: India presses Norway for expediting solution - Feb 01, 2012
- Norway NRI row: India sends special envoy to Oslo - Feb 27, 2012
- Ordeal ends for Norway NRI parents, uncle to get custody of kids - Jan 25, 2012
- Tearful mother greets kids back from Norway - Apr 26, 2012
- India will continue to engage Norwegians on NRI siblings - Mar 29, 2012
- Norway may give Indian kids' custody to uncle (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Norway court hands over Indian children to uncle (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- NRI children row: India summons Norway envoy - Feb 15, 2012
- Kids will be brought back, Krishna assures grandparents - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: anger, bbc, bhattacharya, child welfare service, conflicts, court case, court hearing, cultural differences, fate, foster care, indian diplomats, indian kids, linguistic environment, marital problems, media attention, new developments, norwegian authorities, oslo, sagarika, social services