Norway attacker took paramilitary training in BelarusJuly 28th, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Oslo, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Anders Behring Breivik, the lone man arrested in Norway’s twin terror attacks, trained at a secret paramilitary camp in Belarus earlier this year, a Belarusian opposition politician said Thursday.
“Breivik visited Belarus several times. This spring, as part of his preparations for his twin attacks, he visited Minsk, where he underwent training at a secret paramilitary field camp,” Mikhail Reshetnikov, head of the Belarusian Party of Patriots, told the Gazeta.ru online newspaper.
He cited sources within Belarus’s “security organs”.
Breivik, 32, has admitted carrying out the bombing in Oslo, which killed eight, and the shooting at a youth camp on Utoeya island, which left 68 dead.
He has not accepted criminal responsibility, saying his actions were “atrocious but necessary” measures intended to “save Norway and Western Europe” from a “Muslim takeover”.
Breivik mentioned in his manifesto visiting Belarus to study the effects of fallout from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
The former Soviet state’s border agency has confirmed he was in Belarus from March 4 to 11, 2005.
The Belarusian politician also claimed Breivik participated in “sabotage-terrorism drills” under a former Belarusian special service officer and that he had used a fake passport to enter Belarus.
“His codename in Belarus’s KGB was Viking. Rumors say he also had a girlfriend in Belarus,” he said.
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
- Italian lawmaker apologises for backing Breivik ideology (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Norway killer's friends viewed him as gay - May 29, 2012
- Norway police chief resigns over Breivik attack - Aug 17, 2012
- Norway gunman claims to be sane - Apr 05, 2012
- Norway to build separate psychiatric ward for Breivik - Jun 29, 2012
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway killer Breivik revisits site of shooting rampage - Aug 15, 2011
- Breivik's copycat held in Czech Republic - Aug 19, 2012
- Go to hell: Man tells Norway killer at trial - May 11, 2012
- Police guard from massacred Utoya camp missing - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway killing suspect may get 21 years in jail (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Suspect confesses to Norwegian camp mass killing - Jul 24, 2011
- Police hunt for man who compares himself to Norway attacker - Jul 27, 2011
- Norway killer officially charged with terrorism - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: attacker, behring, chernobyl nuclear disaster, criminal responsibility, fake passport, fallout, gazeta ru, kgb, lone man, manifesto, necessary measures, opposition politician, paramilitary training, patriots, ria novosti, sabotage, security organs, soviet state, terror attacks, western europe