Northeast’s first IIM launched FridayJuly 4th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 4 (IANS) The seventh Indian Institute of Management started imparting lessons here Friday, becoming the first IIM in the northeast. Meghalaya Chief Minister Donkupar Roy would do the formal inauguration in the evening. The institute, which would connect the region with the world’s growing marketing and management realities, is named Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management. It will functioning in the North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) campus for the time being.
“This is a dream fulfilled for the people of the region and we hope this prestigious institute would contribute to the manpower of tomorrow, not only in the northeast, but also in the whole country and abroad,” the chief minister said.
IIM Shillong is the seventh IIM in the country after Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Lucknow, Indore and Kozhikode.
Initially, 60 students, who cleared the the Common Admission Test (CAT), will attend the institute’s flagship programme - Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM).
The intake of students will be subsequently increased to 120 in the third year and 180 in the sixth year. The permanent campus, currently under construction, is spread over a sprawling 120 acres provided by the Meghalaya government.
“The institute would provide a new impetus to the quality management education in the northeast with its mission of modernising and globalising the country through the promotion of higher education,” Roy said.
The institute would later introduce courses like tourism and hospitality management, tele-services and telemedicine, information systems and technology, and subjects such as horticulture, besides hydel power.
- Management Institute in Shillong - Jul 03, 2008
- Country's seventh IIM starts from today - Jul 04, 2008
- IIM-Shillong will teach about China's growth story - Jan 31, 2012
- IIM-Shillong, NSE to offer course in financial markets - Jun 29, 2012
- IIM-Shillong first B-School to webcast convocation - Apr 02, 2010
- With 100 percent placement, cheer at youngest IIM - Mar 31, 2010
- Northeast needs more government initiatives: Tripura chief minister - Sep 24, 2011
- Students strike cripples varsity in Meghalaya - Nov 01, 2010
- Centre to increase enrolment ratio in education - Apr 03, 2010
- IIM-Lucknow signs accord with US B-school - Sep 01, 2011
- Students burn effigy of Meghalaya varsity vice-chancellor - Nov 04, 2010
- Shillong ready to host its first fashion show (With Images) - Sep 12, 2012
- IIM enabling northeast students realize dreams with quality education - Nov 19, 2008
- India launches phase-II of African e-network project - Aug 16, 2010
- From Delhi, Indians to teach students in Africa - May 15, 2010