Northeast dance festival comes to KeralaFebruary 17th, 2008 - 1:34 am ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 9 (IANS) Kerala will soon get a taste of northeastern culture as it prepares to host a dance festival that brings together 800 artists from the various northeastern states. The eight-day festival starts here Feb 16 and will include short plays and an exhibition of northeastern handicrafts.
“This is the third time this festival is being staged in the country. The first two shows were held in Delhi and Hyderabad. The participating states include Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland,” state Culture Minister M.A. Baby told reporters Saturday.
The fest will include the popular Jeng Bihu dance from Assam, Dhol Cholam from Manipur, Sangrai-Mog from Tripura and Tamang Selo from Sikkim.
“Eighty-one artisans will accompany the dance teams and would display their handicrafts like handloom, coir and bamboo products,” said V. Venu, Kerala’s culture secretary.
The fest is being organised by the South Zone Cultural Centre, Thanjavur, and the Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy.
- Bihu dance workshop promotes Assamese traditions - Apr 12, 2011
- Odisha festival in Tripura to commemorate 'Utkal Divas' - Apr 01, 2012
- Drums, cymbals, Bihu dancers -- Assamese New Year's here! - Apr 14, 2011
- Northeast artistes hold audience spellbound at Dill Haat - Oct 18, 2010
- Assamese celebrate Bihu across Maharashtra with great fervor - May 21, 2010
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Lalit Kala Akademi to reach out to northeast - Feb 02, 2012
- Northeast to showcase its dance, music during Games - Oct 01, 2010
- Assamese community celebrates Bihu in Delhi - Apr 14, 2010
- North East comes alive at Kamani auditorium in New Delhi - Jun 08, 2009
- Northeast India's ancient theatre comes to capital (With Image) - Apr 01, 2011
- Northeast India to be theme of Chandigarh's crafts fair - Sep 10, 2010
- Northeast India celebrate "Bihu" to mark new harvest season - Apr 14, 2011
- Assam, Tripura celebrate Bihu festival - Jan 26, 2010
- Songs and dances mark Assamese new year - Apr 14, 2012