North Korean navy official visits RussiaOctober 20th, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Vladivostok, Oct 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A senior North Korean navy official will start Thursday an official visit to Russia’s Pacific Fleet.
“The visit will continue until Oct 27… and will include tours of the Admiral Tributs missile destroyer and the Varshavyanka diesel-powered submarine,” a Pacific Fleet spokesman said.
Commander of North Korea’s East Sea Fleet, Rear Admiral Kim Min-Sik, will also meet with senior Pacific Fleet officials and visit the Russian military contingent on the Kamchatka peninsula.
The admiral’s visit is a follow-up to the visit of Russia’s Eastern Military District Commander Admiral Konstantin Sidenko to Pyongyang in August. The sides agreed at the time to expand military ties, hold joint military exercises and exchange friendly visits of warships.
The Russian military has recently said Russia and North Korea could hold joint naval drills in the Yellow Sea in 2012 with the focus on sea rescue and humanitarian missions.
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Armoured vehicle sold for scrap in Russia - Oct 21, 2011
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Foul-mouthed Russian submarine captain gets desk job - Jun 27, 2011
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- Russia to lay down diesel submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- Ukraine, Brazil talk on energy - Jan 24, 2012
- Russian Navy to get 10 more n-submarines - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills in May - Feb 27, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Russian missile cruiser visits Canada - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: district commander, east sea, hellip, humanitarian missions, kamchatka peninsula, korean navy, military district, military exercises, military ties, missile destroyer, navy official, pacific fleet, rear admiral, ria novosti, s pacific, sea fleet, sea rescue, vladivostok, warships, yellow sea