North Korea, US close to nuclear compromise: ReportOctober 10th, 2008 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Oct 10 (DPA) North Korea and the United States are closer to a compromise in a last-ditch effort to salvage a nuclear disarmament deal, South Korean media said Friday.Both sides were ready for concessions in the disputed question of verification and inspection procedures of Pyongyang’s nuclear facilities, the Chosun Ilbo newspapers said, quoting a high-ranking South Korean official.
While the North indicated willingness to continue work to disable its nuclear weapons facilities, the United States could tentatively remove the country from its terrorism blacklist earlier than planned.
A deal on this was cut during talks between North Korea and chief US nuclear negotiator Christopher Hill last week in Pyongyang, the paper said. US President George W. Bush still has to give his assent.
North Korea’s resuming the disabling of its nuclear facilities and the US delisting could come as early as this month, the official was quoted as saying.
The communist state Thursday banned UN inspectors from accessing its nuclear facilities, after announcing in late September it would restart the Yongbyon nuclear complex, a reaction to the US refusal to remove North Korea from its list of state sponsors of terrorism.
The United States had made proper verification of the North’s declaration of nuclear facilities and stockpiles a prerequisite for delisting.
- China denies reports of 'Beijing dispatching troops' in N. Korea to protect citizens - Jan 17, 2011
- US strikes North Korea from terror blacklist - Oct 12, 2008
- Warship camouflage developed by North Korea - Aug 23, 2010
- N. Korea develops warship camouflage - Aug 23, 2010
- 'New revelation testifies N. Korea trying to build atomic weapons' - Nov 22, 2010
- North Korea to resume disabling its nuclear facilities - Oct 12, 2008
- North Korea restarts nuclear facility: Report - May 27, 2009
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- Sinking of South Korean warship was not terrorism: US - Jun 29, 2010
- What Manmohan would get to eat at Seoul - Mar 26, 2012
- 'North Korea may conduct 3rd nuke test in 2011' - Dec 24, 2010
- US hints at renewing nuke talks if 'right signals' emanated from North Korea - Jan 15, 2011
- Korea tension rises as North threatens war - May 27, 2009
- Five North Korean defectors 'shot dead' - Jan 12, 2011
- North Korea almost finished rebuilding nuclear facility: Report - Oct 06, 2009