North Korea threatens war over US-South Korea drills

February 25th, 2012 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS  

Moscow, Feb 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) North Korea Saturday threatened to wage a “sacred war” over joint US-South Korean military drills next week.

According to Hong Kong-based broadcaster RTHK, the communist state’s National Defense Commission condemned the exercise as a “silent declaration of war” and said its army would “foil” it with a war ot its own style.

The annual drill, Key Resolve, will start Monday and run till March 9.

Another joint US-South Korean drill, Foal Eagle, will be held from March 1 to April 30.

North Korea’s Minju Joson newspaper has said the drills were “a rehearsal for war” with Pyongyang.

Last week, South Korea held live-fire military exercises near the disputed Yellow Sea border with the North. The exercises took place near Yeonpyeong Island where four South Koreans were killed in a North Korean artillery attack two years ago.

Pyongyang called the drills “premeditated military provocation” and vowed retaliation for any attacks.

–IANS/RIA Novosti
pm/vt

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe