North Korea threatens to ‘blow up’ SeoulApril 20th, 2012 - 3:12 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) North Korea has reportedly threatened military action against South Korea unless Seoul apologises for “insulting” the centenary celebrations of Pyongyang’s late founding leader Kim Il-sung.
Pyongyang said it will wage a “sacred war to wipe out the group of the Lee Myung-bak group of traitors” and “blow up everything” in Seoul, in a series of statements carried by the official KCNA news agency.
The threats follow comments by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak last week that North Korea’s failed rocket launch cost Pyongyang about $850 million, and that it could have spent the money towards buying 2.5 million tonnes of corn, the Korea Times reported.
North Korea has suffered from acute food shortage since a famine in the 1990s.
South Korea also said a further $350 million went towards “propaganda purposes” and renovating a landmark hotel for the centenary festivities, the equivalent of feeding North Korea’s 24 million people for 100 days.
Pyongyang said the rocket would put an earth observation satellite into orbit, but the US said it was cover for a missile technology test.
The UN Security Council condemned the launch and ordered fresh sanctions.
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- North Korea slams South Korean president - Apr 22, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea threatens South Korean president - Apr 23, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
- North Korea to launch satellite (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama visits Korean demilitarised zone - Mar 25, 2012
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- Obama wants North Korea to drop rocket launch (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- Japan warns of crashing down North Korean satellite - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: apologises, centenary celebrations, earth observation satellite, food shortage, kim il sung, korea times, landmark hotel, lee myung bak, missile technology, north korea, president lee, propaganda purposes, pyongyang, ria novosti, rocket launch, sacred war, south korea, south korean president, technology test, un security council