North Korea, Russia reach agreement on Khasan-Rajin railwayMarch 16th, 2008 - 6:09 pm ICT by admin
Pyongyang, March 16 (Xinhua) North Korea has reached an agreement with Russia on reconstruction of the Khasan-Rajin railway, the official Rodong Sinmun newspaper reported Sunday. A delegation from the Russian Railways Company held talks with the North Korean railway and commerce ministries as well as officials from other departments on renovating the 55-km Khasan-Rajin railway and the Rajin port, the report said.
The two sides reached agreement to start the renovation work at an early date, the report said.
The Khasan-Rajin railway links Russia’s Khasan border settlement to the North Korea’s Rajin port.
Due to different rail gauges of the two countries, the reconstruction requires the laying of new railway tracks, rebuilding of tunnels and bridges, and upgrading of the automatic signal systems.
The handling capacity of the Rajin port, a major harbour in the northeastern part of North Korea, will also be expanded after the reconstruction.
- North Korea says only dialogue with South can resolve crisis on Korean Peninsula - Feb 05, 2011
- N.Korea wants to end its hostility with South Korea - Jan 01, 2011
- S. Korea ready for talks with North provided not provoked - Jan 03, 2011
- North Korea girl dies saving Kim portraits - Jun 28, 2012
- Kim Jong Il visits China - May 03, 2010
- North Korea condemns IAEA chief's comment on nuke issue - Jun 14, 2010
- North Korea urges US to respond to peace agreement proposal - Jul 19, 2010
- Kim Jong-il begins Russia visit - Aug 21, 2011
- North Korean ruling party members convene for rare meeting - Sep 06, 2010
- 'N. Korea warns of less restraint to S. Korea's military drills' - Dec 28, 2010
- Pyongyang protests US-South Korea military drill - Mar 04, 2012
- US, North Korean officials to meet over food aid - Mar 03, 2012
- US troops parachuted into North Korea : official - May 30, 2012
- North Korea agrees with China on return to talks - Aug 20, 2010
- North Korea threatens to 'blow up' Seoul - Apr 20, 2012