North Korea assures US of halting uranium enrichment planFebruary 20th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, Feb 20 (RIA Novosti) North Korea has reassured the US it will not develop its uranium enrichment programme, a high-ranking US official said Wednesday. North Korea also assured the US that it has no intention to engage in nuclear cooperation with other countries in the future, US assistant secretary of state Christopher Hill was quoted as saying by South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.
Two weeks ago Mike McConnell, the director of the US intelligence service, said the communist country has broken the pledge it made last year to halt all nuclear activities.
Hill also said Pyongyang is ready to continue talks on its nuclear programme and to fulfil its obligations if the US carries out its commitments in turn.
Pyongyang earlier accused the US of failing to strike it off the list of states sponsoring terrorism and lift related trade restrictions, Washington’s obligations under the six-party deal in November 2006.
The US, Japan, Russia, China and South Korea besides North Korea are the parties to the six-nation talks on North Korea’s nuclear disarmament.
Under an agreement reached during the talks last October, Pyongyang was to halt its nuclear programmes and provide full information on nuclear activities by the end of 2007 in exchange for economic and political concessions. However, it missed the deadline, causing the six-party negotiations to stall.
Since the October deal, South Korea, China and Russia have each supplied North Korea with 50,000 metric tons of fuel oil.