North Korea and UN command in South Korea hold talksMarch 2nd, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, March 2 (DPA) High-ranking officials of the North Korean army and the United Nations Command (UNC) in South Korea met Monday as tension on the Korean peninsula mounted.
North Korea asked for the meeting, held at the heavily fortified border village Panmunjom, the US-led UNC said, making it the first meeting between the two sides in almost seven years.
Over the weekend, the communist country’s state-controlled media accused US troops stationed in the South of “provocations” along the demilitarised buffer zone between the two Koreas.
South Korea and the US are planning to hold joint annual military drills next week.
UNC regarded the request as positive, the body said in a statement.
“These talks can be useful in building trust and preventing misunderstanding as well as introducing transparency regarding the intentions of both sides.”
Pyongyang in the past weeks repeatedly threatened the government in Seoul with destruction, accusing the South of pursuing a confrontation policy.
According to South Korean reports, the communist state prepared to test a ballistic missile theoretically capable of reaching US territory. North Korea claimed it was planning to launch a communication satellite into orbit.
- Obama visits Korean demilitarised zone - Mar 25, 2012
- Obama wants North Korea to drop rocket launch (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- North Korea, UN Command agree on talks - Jul 15, 2010
- N. Korea says shelling incident caused by S. Korean provocation - Dec 09, 2010
- US, S.Korea to hold second joint naval drill to deter N.Korea - Sep 24, 2010
- North Korea warns Seoul over military drill - Feb 19, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- US applauds North Korea's statement about no n-test - Jun 12, 2012
- North Korea says only dialogue with South can resolve crisis on Korean Peninsula - Feb 05, 2011
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- Pyongyang condemns South Korea-US military drill - Aug 19, 2012
- Pyongyang protests US-South Korea military drill - Mar 04, 2012
- North Korea gets army battle-ready: Report - May 25, 2010