Norka-Roots to set up Rs.150 mn residential school in KeralaJuly 1st, 2008 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 1 (IANS) Fulfilling a long-standing wish of the Kerala diaspora, Norka-Roots, a state government organisation that caters to the needs of non-resident Keralites and NRK returnees, is expected to start a residential school here soon. The feasibility study report for establishing the state-of the art Rs.150 million school, exclusively for the children of the Keralites living outside India, has been prepared by Norka-Roots. The state government is waiting for the report.
Ruling Left Democratic Front legislator Manjalamkuzhy Ali told IANS that the school would be built on a 50-acre campus near the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) campus at Vailyamala, 30 km from this state capital.
“The government will provide the land and we plan to admit the first batch of students in the coming academic year. It will have all facilities of an international school. The school will follow the CBSE syllabus,” said Ali, who is also a director on the Norka-Roots Board.
He said it was a long-standing demand of the Kerala diaspora to set up a school in the state. The capital investment for the school would be brought together after getting the green signal from the government, he said, adding the Norka-Roots would use its funds substantially to build the school.
The school, to be managed by Norka-Roots, will charge around Rs.3,000-Rs.5,000 per month in fees.
The international schools in the state charge more than Rs.5000 a month from their students.
The school will have separate hostel facilities for girls and boys. It will give importance to sports and games and various facilities including swimming pool would be provided. The management is also planning to construct an equestrian course in the school premises.
There are around two million NRKs and the state has around 1.2 million NRK returnees.
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- Kerala mulls new bank and university for NRKs - Dec 30, 2011
- New scheme for unemployed Non-Resident Keralites soon - Feb 24, 2010
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Will always be considerate to Kerala diaspora: Chandy - Dec 29, 2011
- Involve NRKs in Kerala's development: Vayalar Ravi - Feb 12, 2011
- Centre should chip in to help diaspora: Achuthanandan - Jun 12, 2009
- School for NRK children gets an official nod - Oct 06, 2008
- Kerala to offer investment options to NRKs: Chandy - May 16, 2011
- Chandy calls upon diaspora to make investors meet success - Dec 29, 2011
- Sops for diaspora in Kerala budget - Jul 08, 2011
- Nothing in budget for Kerala diaspora: Minister - Jul 06, 2009
- Kerala to form panels to protect workers in Middle East - Jun 25, 2012
- Kerala plans heritage village for diaspora - Jul 13, 2010
- Kerala budgets didn't do justice to NRIs, says Issac (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011