Non-resident Indians get voting rights (Lead)January 8th, 2012 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Jan 8 (IANS) Fulfilling the long-standing demand of its diaspora, India Sunday said it would allow Non-resident Indians (NRIs) to vote and participate in the election process.”Pursuant to the law that was enacted to enable Non-resident Indians to vote in our national elections, the government has issued notifications for registration of overseas electors under the Representation of People Act, 1950,” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said.
“This constitutes the first major step to enable Indian residents abroad to participate in our election process,” the prime minister said while addressing the annual diaspora meet here.
He said diaspora plays an important role in the growth and development of the country and the government recognises it and was committed to address their concerns and fulfil their demands.
“The government and people of India recognise and value the important role being played by Indian communities living abroad. We believe that Indian diaspora has much more to contribute to the building of modern India,” the prime minister said.
“We propose to facilitate, encourage and promote this engagement. Over the past year, we have taken a number of steps towards this end,” he added.
The prime minister formally inaugurated the 10th annual diaspora meet called the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) here.
Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi said nearly 1,900 delegates from almost 60 countries were participating in the annual conclave.
- NRIs get right to vote in Indian elections (Second Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Overseas Indians welcome right to vote - Jan 09, 2012
- NRIs on electoral rolls soon, single card for diaspora: PM (Roundup) - Jan 08, 2011
- NRIs on electoral rolls soon, single card for diaspora: PM (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- India honours 14 of diaspora for enhancing its global image - Jan 09, 2012
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
- NRIs will be on India's electoral rolls soon: PM - Jan 08, 2011
- Over 1,500 delegates to attend Indian diaspora conclave in 2012 - Aug 26, 2011
- India seeks diaspora investment in energy, healthcare - Jan 07, 2012
- Regional diaspora meet in Dubai this year: Ravi - Jan 09, 2012
- Increase investment in India: Pranab urges diaspora - Jan 08, 2012
- Every NRI is an Indian ambassador of goodwill: Minister - Jan 08, 2011
- India's diaspora conclave concludes with honours, outreach (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2011
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- Over 1500 delegates to attend Non-Resident Indians Day - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: conclave, delegates, electors, government recognises, growth and development, indian affairs, indian communities, indian diaspora, indian residents, manmohan, manmohan singh, modern india, national elections, pbd, pravasi bharatiya, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, recognise, representation of people act, voting rights