Nobbs: Selection on form and fitnessMarch 12th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 12 (IANS) The selection of the Indian team for various international tournaments, including the London Olympics later this year, would be based on form and fitness backed by data garnered by the newly-appointed video analyst, according to national coach Michael Nobbs.
In a departure from tradition, Nobbs intends supplying data to the selectors who will thus have sufficient information on player’s form and fitness.
Nobbs, along with S Ramakrishnan of Sports Mechanics, who is also involved the Indian cricket team, made a presentation to the media on specific improvements in the Indian team as also the mechanics of video analysis that will play an influential role in team selection.
Nobbs said: “Sports Mechanics joined us just before the qualifiers and their data was very useful to prepare game-plans against the opposition.
“We will also present the selectors all the relevant data on each player to help them decide. So, every selection will be based on hard data and numbers that we will be receiving from Sports Mechanics.”
Ramakrishnan said his team was gathering data on individual players as per the parameters laid down by Nobbs besides providing the coach information on other teams that India would be facing at the Olympics.
“We will provide Nobbs data on all the players that will help him strategise. Over time, we hope to have a huge data base on players and teams, including domestic competitions,” said Ramkrishnan.
While the enrolling of a video support staff is not a new concept in Indian hockey, the set-up is far more professional than at any time in the past.
In 1996 and in his second stint (2002 World Cup), the then coach Cedric D’Souza went out of pocket to collect videos of top teams and so did his successor Vasudevan Baskaran (2000 Olympics). But both were never reimbursed!
- Nobbs' fears about World Series Hockey unfounded: Baskaran - Nov 10, 2011
- Play Indian-style attacking hockey: Vasudevan Baskaran (Interview) - Jul 23, 2012
- New hockey coach Nobbs to focus on game's development (Round up) - Jun 30, 2011
- Michael Nobbs is India's hockey coach till 2016 Olympics (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Indian hockey's worst performance ever: Olympic gold medallists - Aug 10, 2012
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
- Qualification for 2012 Olympics tough: Nobbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Saina to work with Indian cricket team analyst - Jul 26, 2011
- Hockey India to appoint high performance manager - Aug 29, 2012
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- 2000 Sydney Olympics: Controversies affect India's chances (Sports Special) - Jul 22, 2012
- Never blamed Nobbs for London debacle: Shivendra - Aug 24, 2012
- Nobbs focussed on allround development of Indian hockey - Jun 30, 2011
- Hockey squad picked on performance not reputation: Nobbs - Jan 31, 2012
- Australian Nobbs is India's hockey coach - Jun 29, 2011
Tags: 2000 olympics, cedric, data base, domestic competitions, game plans, indian cricket team, indian hockey, london olympics, mechanics, national coach, ramakrishnan, relevant data, second stint, selectors, souza, support staff, team selection, video analysis, video support, world cup