No work at Nano plant, highway closed once again (Lead)September 2nd, 2008 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 2 (IANS) Work at the Tata Motors Nano factory at Singur in West Bengal’s Hoogly district remained suspended for the fourth consecutive working day Tuesday.According to The Telegraph newspaper report here, Tata Motors and its vendors are losing about Rs.10 million (Rs.1 crore) every day on account of work suspension.
There was no work at the factory on Friday, Saturday and Monday due to an indefinite agitation at the plant site by the Trinamool Congress, which is demanding the return of 400 acres taken for the project from farmers who did not want their land to be acquired.
The plant was closed Sunday, it being a weekly holiday.
In another development, the National Highway-2 (NH2), which was partially opened Monday night was again closed Tuesday morning.
“We have been able to allow 55 trucks to ply towards Kolkata and some others to Bardhaman district till 11 a.m. Tuesday,” said an official of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
He, however, refused to comment on why the highway was closed Tuesday.
“Senior NHAI officials will have a meeting with the Hoogly district administration on this issue soon,” he said.
Tata Motors is slated to roll out the world’s cheapest car from its factory in Singur, 40 kilometre from Kolkata, in October.
- Bhattacharjee welcomes mediator in Singur impasse (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2008
- Lack of congenial environment forced Singur closure: Tata Motors - Jun 14, 2011
- Mrinal Sen expresses doubt over Singur land - Jun 14, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Court extends stay on Singur land return - Nov 03, 2011
- Tata may challenge Singur land law verdict Tuesday (Lead) - Oct 31, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Mamata plans factory on 600 acres of Singur land - May 28, 2012
- Not shying from investing in Haryana plants: Maruti Suzuki - Nov 03, 2011
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Singur farmers distribute sweets, throw colour - Sep 28, 2011
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012