‘No uncertainty over 2010 Delhi Games’: Commonwealth federationDecember 8th, 2008 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 8 (IANS) The Commonwealth Games Federation has dismissed any uncertainty over the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in the wake of the Mumbai terror strikes.The Federation’s honorary secretary Louise Martin said India has regarded security as a serious issue since the day Delhi was awarded the Games and that the Federation is sure they will not be derailed by terror threats.
“There are no thoughts of pulling the games. It actually makes you more determined they go ahead as planned,” the Scotsman quoted her as saying.
More than terror threats, it is the pace of progress in completing the infrastructure for the Games in time that is of concern to the Federation.
“Two weeks ago, at the (Commonwealth Games Federation) General Assembly in Gambia, we had a report from Delhi, which forecast that the Games will be delivered on time and on budget,” Martin said.
On a specific question about the slow progress of work, she said: “We are aware of the situation and are monitoring it; but the venues are currently either just behind, or on target.”
“What we have to understand is they have a completely different way of working. They can do things last minute. I think everyone knows what will happen: they will deliver a fantastic games,” Martin added.
- CWG 2010: Indian officials say they have proved all venues are safe - Sep 07, 2010
- Brumby calls on Kalmadi, reviews preparations for C'wealth 2010 games - Sep 26, 2009
- Commonwealth Games Federation impressed with Hambantota - Jul 05, 2011
- India fears Commonwealth Games venues will not be ready - May 31, 2010
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- OC hands over completion certificates of all venues to CGF - Sep 06, 2010
- Athletes, officials now praise CWG Village (Night Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Security measures at CWG venues by Sep 15 - Sep 06, 2010
- More spots in Delhi are terror targets: Australia - Sep 29, 2010
- Uganda concerned at 'slow progress' in CWG preparations - Sep 24, 2010
- Canada, other 70 nations don't plan to skip Delhi CWG just yet - Sep 22, 2010
- Scots Games chief 'confident' about Delhi hosting Commonwealth Games successfully - Aug 04, 2010
- New Zealand team satisfied with Commonwealth Games venue, security - Oct 02, 2010
- Commonwealth Games infrastructure complete, Delhi revamp on track: Kalmadi - Jul 10, 2010
- Hooper refuses to share blame for the CWG mess - Sep 26, 2010