No to playing Holi with women? Then set their homes afireMarch 2nd, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 2 (IANS) The inequalities in Bihar society came to the fore again on Holi with a group of rich, armed men setting ablaze the homes of the poor in a village for not being allowed to play with their women, police said Tuesday.
About a dozen thatched homes belonging to the poorest in Rajespur village in Patna district, about 80 km from here, were set on fire late Monday by the powerful mafia, locally known as ‘dabang’.
Four people have been arrested but tension continues with hundreds demanding action against accused. Security forces have been deployed to avoid further trouble.
That Holi, the festival of colours, could often degenerate into hooliganism became apparent with the ‘dabangs’ hitting back because they were not allowed to play Holi with the women of some of the poor in the village.
“It was another example of Holi revelry going wrong when some powerful people set ablaze houses for not being allowed to play Holi with the poor women,” a police official said.
- Bihar to involve youths to fight kala azar - Apr 10, 2012
- 'Chhed-chhad' keeps women away from Braj Mandal Holi - Mar 15, 2011
- No work, all colourful play on Holi, say TV actors - Mar 06, 2012
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Delhi Police gear up to tackle Holi hooliganism - Mar 19, 2011
- Inequality on rise in G20 nations: Report - Jan 19, 2012
- Three killed during Holi in Bihar - Mar 01, 2010
- Bihar village in gloom as Anna supporter succumbs to burns - Aug 29, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh residents celebrate 'Laddoo Holi' - Mar 14, 2011
- Bihar hikes financial help for kala azar patients - Apr 24, 2012
- Probe begins into Bihar police firing deaths - Jun 04, 2011
- Reaching out to Bihar's Mahadalits - by radio - Apr 16, 2011
- Four women kidnapped from rescue home in Hyderabad - Sep 01, 2012
- Bihar's landless march for land reforms - Dec 24, 2010
- Goa government cozying up to 5-star hotel lobby: Shack operators - Sep 17, 2012