No TB test for visitor visa: BritainMay 23rd, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 23 (IANS) Indians visiting Britain for less than six months do not need to undergo tuberculosis (TB) test, it was clarified Wednesday.
An announcement by the British government that visa applicants from India and some other countries will be required to undergo TB test had led to some alarm.
Speaking to the media here, British High Commissioner James Bevan said the new rule will not be applicable to those seeking visitors’ visa.
“This will apply to those who are coming to Britain for over six months,” he said.
He said the British high commission was studying the health testing procedure adopted by the US and other countries before it finalises the doctors and clinics who will be authorized to conduct TB test.
He said India had not been singled out.
Earlier, there were 15 countries in this list. This has been extended to 67 countries including India and China.
“I am sure 75 percent of visa applicants will not be affected by this as they apply for visitors’ visa.”
- Britain to open deputy high commission in Chandigarh - May 23, 2012
- Hyderabad, Chandigarh to have British deputy high commissions - May 16, 2012
- Britain makes it tough for Pakistani students - Apr 13, 2012
- New test can quickly distinguish infection from tuberculosis disease - Apr 02, 2011
- Britain opens visa application centre in Bangalore - May 21, 2012
- Spurt in Indian applications for British visas, delays possible - Jun 08, 2010
- UK natural choice to be Kerala's partner: Envoy - Sep 12, 2012
- India battles staggering tuberculosis burden (March 24 is World TB Day) - Mar 23, 2011
- Central team to probe drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai - Jan 17, 2012
- Berlin 2010: TB, HIV and Lung Health: From research and innovation to solutions - Nov 02, 2010
- 90-minute TB test not a game changer for India - Aug 29, 2011
- 25-member British team at Kerala investors' meet - Sep 05, 2012
- Awareness programmes mark World Tuberculosis Day in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Punjab students hail Australian visa review - Dec 16, 2010
- US unveils new scheme to ease visa renewal - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: british government, british high commission, british high commissioner, chandigarh, china, doctors, Health Science, India, indians, james bevan, six months, tb test, tuberculosis, tuberculosis tb, visa applicants, visitor visa, visitors visa