No row will be brushed under carpet: army chiefJune 1st, 2012 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) On his first day in office, Indian Army chief Gen Bikram Singh Friday sent out a strong message regarding difficulties facing the force, including sexual misconduct allegations during deployment in the UN Congo mission, and said nothing would be brushed under the carpet.
Bikram Singh, who took over as the 27th Indian Army chief and the 25th Indian to hold the coveted position, told reporters after a ceremonial guard of honour on the lawns of South Block here that his key result area would be to maintain the army as a “secular, apolitical” force.
Bikram Singh, who took over from Gen. V.K. Singh, said all units of the 1.13 million force and its commanders work towards improving the organisation’s internal health and that effort would continue.
Only the second Sikh to take over as India’s army chief, Bikram Singh had to overcome several hurdles, including a legal battle that sought to deny him the opportunity to head the world’s second largest standing army.
Bikram Singh was the UN Congo mission deputy commander when the international body’s oversight panel had indicted the Indian forces of sexually abusing local women.
He was, till Thursday, Kolkata-based Eastern Army Commander.
- No row will be brushed under carpet: army chief (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- 'No cover-ups, army's secular character to be maintained' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Gen Bikram Singh is Indian Army chief - May 31, 2012
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Gen Bikram Singh assumes command of Indian Army (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Tough days ahead for new Indian Army chief (News Analysis) - May 31, 2012
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Minefield of controversies lie in next army chief's way (Comment) - Apr 15, 2012
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Army chief in Nepal to strengthen military bond - Jul 10, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh is new Eastern Command chief - Apr 01, 2010
- Countdown to army chief's retirement begins - May 05, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Concerned over murder charges against officers: Retiring army chief (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: apolitical, army chief, army commander, bikram singh, ceremonial guard, deputy commander, guard of honour, hurdles, indian army, internal health, key result, kolkata, lawns, misconduct allegations, New Delhi, oversight panel, result area, sexual misconduct, sikh, standing army