No protest curbs at Jantar Mantar, India Gate now (Lead)July 29th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Within 24 hours of banning any gathering of five or more people in the heart of the capital coinciding with parliament session beginning Aug 1, Delhi Police modified the order withdrawing the curbs from Jantar Mantar and the India Gate.
The order Thursday said Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code will be imposed at the India Gate, Central Vista lawns, Rajpath, Jantar Mantar and Connaught Place with its surrounding areas from July 30 to Sep 9, covering the duration of the monson session of parliament.
However, Delhi Police Friday exempted the two areas from the restrictions which would be in place in other areas earlier notified.
“Protests and public meetings can take place at Jantar Mantar,” said a police officer.
The Thursday order could have upset social activist Anna Hazare’s plan to go on an indefinite hunger strike for the second time from Aug 16 to press for a strong anti-corruption Lokpal bill.
Team Anna, who were worried after Thursday order, told IANS: “They have lifted prohibitory orders from Jantar Mantar. However, we are waiting for a reply from Delhi Police to the letter we sent earlier, seeking permission to hold a protest at Jantar Mantar.”
The order could have also created problem for the country’s first Slut Walk - a campaign to protest the random usage of the word ’slut’ and sexual violence against women - scheduled on Sunday at Jantar Mantar and nearby roads.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Prohibitory orders to be imposed ahead of Anna fast - Jul 29, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Ready to go to jail: Anna Hazare - Jul 31, 2011
- Tight security planned for Hazare's fast Sunday - Dec 10, 2011
- Jantar Mantar: The epicentre of India's crusades - Apr 08, 2011
- Team Anna urges people to join fast from July 25 - Jul 22, 2012
- People in Sibal's constituency want Jan Lokpal bill: Kejriwal (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar - Aug 02, 2011
- Team Anna shifts protest venue to Rajghat - Jun 07, 2011
- Prohibitory orders put question mark on Hazare's fast - Jun 05, 2011
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Anna denied permission to hold protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- We're trying to protect India Gate, not restrict access: Delhi Police - Aug 28, 2012
- Thousands march towards Jantar Mantar - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, connaught place, delhi police, indefinite hunger strike, india gate, jantar mantar, lawns, nearby roads, New Delhi, parliament session, police officer, protest curbs, public meetings, sexual violence, sks, social activist, two areas, vd, violence against women, word slut