No major damage in US due to tsunami: ObamaMarch 12th, 2011 - 8:28 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 12 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has said there was no major damage in the country from a tsunami caused by a massive earthquake in Japan.
Huge tsunami waves, some 10 metres high, triggered by a devastating magnitude 8.9 earthquake, slammed northeastern Japan Friday. Hundreds of people are feared killed and thousands were missing.
The US Geological Survey measured the quake at 8.9 on the Richter scale. The quake hit at 2.46 p.m. (0546 GMT) at a depth of 24.4 km.
Tsunami waves reached Hawaii and grazed the US West Coast, reports said.
Obama said Friday at a White House press conference that the US government was closely monitoring the impact, according to Xinhua.
He termed the earthquake and the tsunami “catastrophic”, and said the US was sending assistance to Japan, as one aircraft carrier was already in Japanese waters and another on its way.
- US escapes Japan tsunami, says Obama (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan upgrades quake magnitude to 9 - Mar 13, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive earthquake rocks Japan, tsunami warnings issued - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits western Japan, unrelated to major 8.9 jolt - Mar 12, 2011
- Magnitude-5.9 quake hits Japan - Mar 22, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- 6-magnitude quake jolts Honshu island of Japan - Mar 13, 2011
- Tsunami to hit US west coast, Alaska - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: aircraft carrier, barack obama, catastrophic, earthquake in japan, gmt, japanese waters, magnitude, massive earthquake, northeastern japan, quake, richter scale, tsunami, tsunami waves, us geological survey, us government, us west coast, white house, white house press, white house press conference, xinhua