‘No link between Siachen, other issues with Pakistan’June 16th, 2012 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, June 16 (IANS) India attaches no link between the progress in talks with Pakistan on reducing military presence in Siachen Glacier and other bilateral matters, a top official said.
The official also added that the Indian armed forces were better prepared than ever before, seeking to quell such an impression after the letter to that effect written by former army chief General V.K. Singh.
“Our composite dialogue with Pakistan continues. We don’t see any link between Siachen and other issues, nor have they (the Pakistan side) told us something on these lines,” the official said.
The comments come against the backdrop of the recent talks in Islamabad between the defence secretaries of the two countries where de-militarization of Siachen was also discussed, but with little progress.
Regarding India’s defence preparedness, the official said several steps had been taken since last year to spruce up the country’s armed forces. “We are better prepared than ever before.”
He also said that it was a matter of routine, and nothing wrong in terms of protocol or otherwise, for retiring army chiefs to write letters to prime ministers.
(Arvind Padmanabhan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian defence secretary in Pakistan - Jun 11, 2012
- Pakistan does a U-turn, says no change in Siachen policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan, India open talks on Siachen - Jun 11, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan talks on Siachen end - Jun 12, 2012
- India, Pakistan to resume defence talks after four years - May 25, 2011
- Northern army commander visits India-China border, Siachen - Mar 10, 2011
- Pakistan, India hold talks on Siachen (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- India 'well prepared' in case of war: Antony - Apr 10, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- India, Pakistan to continue talks on Siachen row (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Two army officers killed in Siachen bunker fire (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Pakistan, India to talk Siachen on June 11, 12 - May 11, 2012
- Siachen avalanche buries 130 Pakistani soldiers - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: air india, army chief, army chiefs, arvind, backdrop, chief general, composite dialogue, defence preparedness, indian armed forces, islamabad, military presence, padmanabhan, pakistan side, prime ministers, protocol, secretaries, several steps