No headway in Delhi businessman’s murder probeApril 8th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) Probing a businessman’s murder in south Delhi Monday, police Tuesday interrogated the victim’s two brothers-in-law with whom he had a property dispute but there was no breakthrough. “We are interrogating Sneh and Dinesh Mittal, whose role is suspected by the family of victim Arun Gupta, but so far we have not found any breakthrough in the case and further investigations are under way,” Joginder Singh, in-charge of the Kalkaji police station, told IANS.
“The Mittal brothers said they were in a court at the time of the killing and have nothing to do with it. Sketches of the assailants could be not drawn as no eyewitness has approached us so far,” Singh added.
When asked about Babita Sharma, a neighbour who says she witnessed the crime, Singh said her version was recorded. “But the statement itself has some contradictions, which are being verified.”
Gupta, 47, was shot dead by three unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants barely a few metres from his home in Kalkaji of south Delhi, when he was going to his electronic goods shop in Bhagirath Palace in Old Delhi Monday morning.
The assailants waylaid Gupta’s WagonR car near a pastry shop flagging him to roll down his car window glass. As soon as he did so, one of the assailants got down from the bike and pumped two bullets in Gupta’s head, killing him instantly.
Gupta’s wife Sadhna alleged her brothers Sneh and Dinesh Mittal were behind the murder. “They had threatened to kill my husband over a property dispute and no one else could be behind the murder,” she said.
According to police, the Gupta family and the Mittals were not on good terms after the death of Madan Lal Mittal, the father-in-law of the deceased, last year.
“Madan Lal Mittal, whose property and bank balance is stated to be in billions, left a large chunk of it to his daughter Sadhna and her husband Arun Gupta, which probably strained relations between the Mittals and the Guptas. Madan Lal Mittal’s wife was trying to settle the property dispute,” said a senior police official.
“The two families had moved the high court, where the matter is being heard,” he added.
- Probe into Delhi businessman's murder widened - Apr 09, 2008
- Woman detained in Delhi businessman's murder - Apr 09, 2008
- Sketches of Delhi businessman's murder suspects released - Apr 10, 2008
- Delhi businessman shot dead, possibly over property - Apr 07, 2008
- Delhi businessman's murder solved: police - Apr 14, 2008
- Two brothers killed in Ghaziabad - May 10, 2012
- Two murders in Delhi within 12 hours - Jul 27, 2012
- Police claim Delhi businessman's murder solved, questions remain - Apr 14, 2008
- Two arrested for killing businessman - Jul 08, 2011
- Cousin held for siblings' murder (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Eatery owner stabbed to death after tiff over bill - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Property, love, depression behind shooting spree' - Sep 08, 2012
- Trader shot in Ghaziabad - Jul 13, 2010
- Woman, daughter-in-law beat man to death in court premises - Jan 31, 2012
- Delhi Police ex-official, two men held for murder - Sep 18, 2011