No decision yet on Adriano, says Flamengo presidentApril 21st, 2012 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, April 21 (IANS) Flamengo Football Club president Patricia Amorim says the club is still undecided about whether to re-sign troubled striker Adriano.
Amorim also said there was no chance former FIFA world player of the year Ronaldinho would leave the Rio de Janeiro club.
Under the guidance of Flamengo medical staff, Adriano is due to begin physiotherapy next week after surgery to repair left Achilles tendon damage, reported Xinhua.
Flamengo will monitor the 30-year-old’s recovery but remains non-committal about offering a contract to the man who helped the club win 2009 Brazilian league title.
“Sometimes we have doubts about what the future holds and when that’s the case, it’s best not to do anything,” Amorim told Arena Sportv.
“It’s a dilemma. The majority of Flamengo fans love Adriano but we also have to think about our responsibility. When the time is right we will make a decision, but now is not the right time.”
Adriano, who has scored 27 goals in 48 international appearances for Brazil, was sacked by Corinthians in March after failing to adhere to the club’s strict training regime.
He has since expressed his wish to rejoin Flamengo and return to the national team.
Adriano was involved in a string of off-field controversies of which the most serious one is the allegation of links with a Rio de Janeiro drug lord, which Adriano has denied.
Aside from doubts about Adriano’s attitude, Amorim revealed the club also had financial limitations.
“Our priority now is to reduce our salary costs by loaning out some players or terminating contracts. There is also the medical aspect. If he makes a full recovery and the doctors say he is ok to play again, then we can start thinking about the administrative side.”
- Flamengo to re-sign Adriano, says coach - May 02, 2012
- Flamengo still eyeing Adriano return - Aug 16, 2012
- Apologetic Adriano receives warning - Sep 05, 2012
- Adriano cleared to resume training - Aug 21, 2012
- Corinthians settle legal battle with Adriano - Jun 03, 2012
- Ronaldinho quits Flamengo, sues club for unpaid wages - Jun 01, 2012
- Former Brazilian striker Adriano released from hospital - Apr 15, 2012
- Adriano signs with Flamengo - Aug 22, 2012
- Adriano to begin practicing with Flamengo - Mar 24, 2012
- Corinthians release Adriano - Mar 13, 2012
- Flamengo upbeat about Adriano return - Jun 23, 2012
- Adriano to have surgery on left foot - Apr 07, 2012
- Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras - Jun 03, 2012
- Adriano can revive career with Flamengo: Zico - Apr 02, 2012
- Ronadlinho misses practice after night out with Adriano - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: achilles tendon, administrative side, allegation, amorim, club president, committal, controversies, drug lord, fifa world player, fifa world player of the year, flamengo football club, international appearances, medical aspect, medical staff, president patricia, rio de janeiro, ronaldinho, salary costs, world player of the year, xinhua