No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for IndiaNovember 1st, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), Nov 1 (IANS/CMC) Chris Gayle has yet again been overlooked by the West Indies selectors while picking the squad for the three-Test series against India, starting in New Delhi Nov 6.
The panel Monday decided to retain the 15-member squad currently playing in Bangladesh, with Lendl Simmons returning home to nurse a back injury.
Gayle remains estranged from the West Indies side following his dispute with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) over his comments on a Jamaican radio station in May.
The WICB has demanded an apology from Gayle for his remarks, but the opener refused, wanting to know what he should he apologise for.
Gayle remains an enormously popular figure among West Indies fans, gaining loud cheers from spectators in Guyana, where he led Jamaica to the Clive Lloyd Trophy for winning the Regional Super50 tournament Saturday at the Guyana National Stadium.
West Indies will thus persist with the young pair of teenager Kraigg Brathwaite and left-hander Kieran Powell with Adrian Barath considered fit enough to tour India.
Barath remained with the team, recovering from the hamstring injury that sidelined him during the One-day International series in Bangladesh.
The second Test is in Kolkata and the third in Mumbai followed by a five-match One-day series.
Darren Sammy (captain), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh, Devendra Bishoo, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Kirk Edwards, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Shane Shillingford.
- Ramdin, Shillingford recalled to Windies Test squad - Sep 23, 2011
- West Indies arrive for series against India - Nov 03, 2011
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Brathwaite will be back, says Sammy - Apr 30, 2012
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: barath, baugh, brathwaite, chris gayle, clive lloyd, denesh ramdin, fidel edwards, india st, jamaican radio, kemar, left hander, lendl, loud cheers, marlon samuels, member squad, ravi rampaul, shivnarine chanderpaul, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wicb