No changing false-start rule, says world athletics bodySeptember 5th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Daegu (South Korea), Sep 5 (IANS/CMC) Usain Bolt will have to learn quickly how to deal with the nerves that led to his false-start disqualification in the final of the 100 metres sprint at the World Athletics Championships here.
Track & field?s World governing body, International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), said it had no plans to change the rule before the 2012 Olympics in London, despite the disqualification of the world sprint king and the sport?s biggest star.
IAAF President Lamine Diack said no official at Sunday?s council meeting raised the issue of the false-start rule.
?We will not come back to the issue,? he said. ?Bolt had a false start, but that is not going to make us change.?
The ?one-false-start-and-you-are-out? rule has been heavily criticised since last year when it came into effect and received even more strident reviews following Bolt?s stunning disqualification two Sundays ago.
Previous false-start rules allowed runners room for error, but too many of them led to delays to event schedules, and grumpy telecasters in particular.
Bolt was one of handful of high-profile runners that suffered false-start disqualifications. The others were Olympic and former World 400 champion Christine Ohuruogu, as well as fellow Briton and former European 100-metre champion Dwain Chambers.
- Bolt, Blake make shortlist for Athlete-of-the-Year award - Nov 05, 2011
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Usian Bolt's mother 'forgives' chief starter - Sep 13, 2011
- Greene discounts world record by Bolt in London - Jun 28, 2012
- Bolt unfazed despite two shockers from Blake - Jul 05, 2012
- Blake pips Usain Bolt for Jamaica's top athlete award - Dec 10, 2011
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
- Bolt confirmed for Weltklasse Zurich - May 17, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- World Athletics: Veronica denies Jeter, Felix history - Sep 02, 2011
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: 100 metres sprint, 2012 olympics, bolt, briton, dg, dwain chambers, event schedules, handful, iaaf, international association of athletics federations, lamine diack, metre champion, nerves, olympics, runners room, s council, south korea, telecasters, world athletics championships, world governing body