No casualty as tremors shake north IndiaSeptember 8th, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 8 (IANS) No casualty was reported from anywhere in northern India as an earthquake measuring 4.2 on the Richter scale hit the region overnight.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) here said Thursday that the epicentre of the earthquake was near Sonepat in Haryana, 65 km from New Delhi.
The tremors, at 11.28 p.m., were felt in varying degrees in Haryana, Delhi, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Jammu and Kashmir.
But the earthquake did spark panic, forcing many people to jump out of their beds and scurry out of their homes in panic.
The first report on the earthquake said it measured 6.6 on the Richter scale. This was later downgraded to 4.2.
“There were a lot of rumours floating around, particularly of aftershocks of bigger intensity,” a Sonepat administration official said.
In the national capital, many rushed out of their homes after the tremors.
“We could not sleep for the rest of the night fearing another tremor. Thank god nothing happened,” said Shweta Sharma, a resident of east Delhi.
Delhi falls in Zone 4 of earthquake intensity zones and is designated a high damage risk zone.
- 4.2 intensity quake shakes Delhi out of its sleep - Sep 08, 2011
- Quake-prone Delhi lacks safety measures: Expert - Sep 08, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Mild tremors felt in Delhi, parts of north India - Jun 20, 2011
- Sikkim quake India's fourth in September - Sep 18, 2011
- Mild quake in UP, aftershocks in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 4.9 quake shakes Delhi, suburbs (Fourth Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- NDMA to train MCD to spot unsafe buildings: Reddy - Mar 11, 2012
- 4.9 quake shakes Delhi, suburbs (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Mild quake in UP, tremors felt in Delhi - Mar 13, 2012
- Panic as 4.9 tremor shakes Delhi, adjoining areas (Fourth Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- 7.3 magnitutde quake jolts Pakistan, Delhi rocked (Second Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Goof up by IMD? - Sep 08, 2011
- Quake rocks Pakistan - Mar 12, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata: Metro services halted, buildings develop cracks (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: administration official, aftershocks, chandigarh, delhi delhi, earthquake intensity, east delhi, epicentre, indian meteorological department, indian meteorological department imd, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, north india, northern india, punjab, rajasthan, rest of the night, richter scale, sonepat, tremors, uttarakhand